Hydraulic drive for 3PT cement mixer

/ Hydraulic drive for 3PT cement mixer #1  

centex

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4700
Has anyone out there converted a PTO drive cement mixer to hydraulic drive? I have a 3PT mixer but as has been pointed out in other threads on this forum this is a very difficult application for a PTO drive. To keep the angles of the ujoints less than 46 degrees and to keep the PTO shaft from binding or comming apart the range of lift has to very limited. It seems to me that a hydraulic drive would solve these problems. Where is a good place to look for hydraulic motors?

/ Hydraulic drive for 3PT cement mixer #2  
Don is <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.ssbtractor.com/page15.html>this</A> the mixer you're talking about?

I have a nine cu ft Stone brand mixer. I just put an eight horse honda gear reduction motor on it and I can't bog it down.

What I've done is leave the mixer alone and use a concrete bucket for dispensing.

It's worked out great for me.

But the next project will probably be a concrete dispensing bucket that folds back the funnel and front so I can use the bucket to pick up material from a pile and then fold the front back down and fill the mixer. I'm not too lazy. But I could be with a little opportunity.

BTW nine cu ft mixers have a common slang name of "sacker". What that refers to is you toss in a ninety four pound sack of portland cement, sack and all. Then you put in ten gallons of water and fill the mixer up with sand and gravel until it's the consistancy you want. You'll have three thousand psi mix.

Yup, the paper and plastic from the portland bag gets lost in the confusion, a fine thing to happen.

What I meant to say before the fingers went their own way was you don't need over what a five horse gas motor will give you to run that mixer with a little gear reduction thrown in. That's what all the six cu ft mixers and have most of the nines too.

/ Hydraulic drive for 3PT cement mixer
That looks a lot like the one I have. It is some Italian brand.

/ Hydraulic drive for 3PT cement mixer #4  
Don,

I like your original Idea though. It make a lot more sense than running a mixer off the pto.

A small hydraulic gear motor is pretty cheap especially at like Northern or Baileynet.com. Just have to make sure that the shaft bearings can handle the side load of a belt drive.

Not to take anything away from the other reply, but a hydraulic gear motor and a couple quick connect hoses would require very little maintenance.

Paul

I think I am going to do this. Every time I use the mixer the PTO drive gives me trouble. The problem is
when you dump the load the angle of the u-joint at the mixer gets too large so it is hard to fully dup the load in a wheelbarrow. Also if I get the lift arms too low the safety shields separate.

Since I don't know anything about hydraulic motors I was wondering if anyone knew what the torque curves look like for them. It would have to run pretty slow, 150 - 200 rpm and I am concerned that it might not have enough torque at those speeds unless it were a positive displacement device.

/ Hydraulic drive for 3PT cement mixer #6  
Hi there,
I have a full sack pto mixer too, (Wind Mill brand) and i put a sack of Portland, less than 5 gallons of water, and about 30 shovels of sand/gravel in it for my mix.
That gives a good mix, are you sure you use 10 gallons of water?? That seems like a lot of water to me?? I'm not being picky, i'm just wondering why i use so much less.
I like the idea of haveing a hydraulic motor on my mixer too, that way i could put it in place of my loader bucket, and reach out a bit, all so to see what i'm doing too!
Robert

/ Hydraulic drive for 3PT cement mixer #7  
So your PTO mixer is a nine cubic footer?

Reading the instructions on the internet on mixers I've noticed the directions to add one to one and half bags of portland per load depending on the strength wanted in the concrete. Of course the strength is a combination of the percentage of portland and size of rock used.

If my material is wet I add less water and if it's plumb dry I'll add more. But what I'm after in most of my situations is a dryer mix because I'm wanting the post to be supported not only laterally but vertically by the fresh concrete.

Usually one of my mixer loads will fill three contractor wheelbarrows.

/ Hydraulic drive for 3PT cement mixer #8  
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.hydraulicsupermarket.com/>http://www.hydraulicsupermarket.com/</A>

This is a fun place to look around.

Thanks for the link Mossroad. I especially like the technical library. This will help me avoid bying a lot of stuff and finding out it won't work.