Hydraulic oil question

/ Hydraulic oil question #1  

RandyinTN

Silver Member
Tractor
NX4510H with backhoe and FEL
Ok, this is a rookie question from a guy who just bought his first tractor.

Owners manual shows where to check trans fluid (hydra) but no other mention of how or where to check hydraulic fluid. Is all the hyd fluid connected and the only place to check it or add it is at the dip stick location on the transmission?

/ Hydraulic oil question #2  
The few I know use same oil for all hyd functions and only have one placed to check it.

/ Hydraulic oil question #3  
I'm not familiar with that model, but my NH and JD's only have one dipstick for the hydraulic/transmission fluid.

Somebody that knows for sure should be along soon.

/ Hydraulic oil question #4  
It would be the unusual tractor that had separate hydraulic & transmission oil. Your one dipstick checks it all.

/ Hydraulic oil question #5  
It would be the unusual tractor that had separate hydraulic & transmission oil. Your one dipstick checks it all.

..................for tractors built since the mid '60's (in the case of Ford 1000 series). The 1965 yearmodel was a design change of magnitude and one of the changes was combining the differential and hydraulic sump into a common sump with a "full" ⅛" pipe tap on the side of the main tractor housing half way up.

Moving on into newer tractors, of later origin....date unknown, once they found out that trannys did ok with hydraulic fluid, vs gear oil for tranny gears...or made some modifications to accommodate, they included the tranny so you now have tranny-hyd-diff in one sump with one dipstick. This change required an upgraded hydraulic fluid to include the transmission requirement (for additives) making it "trans/hydraulic" fluid and as more amenities were added to tractors like hydrostatic steering and drives, wet brakes and other things, Premium Trans/Hydraulic fluid was required.