Hydraulic Quick Coupler Types

/ Hydraulic Quick Coupler Types #1  

ritcheyvs

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45S
Can someone explain the difference between single-acting, double-acting, and breakaway quick couplers?

Also, there seem to be two types: one with a ball at the male end and one with a type of stud. Mine all have the ball but what is the other type for?

/ Hydraulic Quick Coupler Types #2  
Can someone explain the difference between single-acting, double-acting, and breakaway quick couplers?

Also, there seem to be two types: one with a ball at the male end and one with a type of stud. Mine all have the ball but what is the other type for?

Single acting has the collar that un locks the coupler that pull back only.

Double acting has a collar that will move towards you or away from you to un lock the coupler.

Break away couplers don't need a collar moved, it's all internal. You simple push the male end in and it locks in, or pull on the hose and it uncouples. Drive away still coupled and the hoses will un-couple by themselves.

Ball ends vs nipple ends, the nipple ends will flow more. Aren't rated for that, but they do.

/ Hydraulic Quick Coupler Types
Brain, Thanks. I think I got it now. Single action and double action were somewhat intuitive but I didn't see how a breakaway would work.
But it is the mount that makes either of these (single or double) into a breakaway because a breakaway mount holds only the collar; the collar is stayionary but back end of coupling is free to move (e.g.flex hose, not rigid tube). So pulling on the hose moves the coupling forward on the collar (same effect as moving the collar back on the coupling) to release the locking balls. And if it's a double action coupling pushing the male end into the coupling also releases the locking balls to connect. Very clever.

/ Hydraulic Quick Coupler Types #4  
Ball ends vs nipple ends, the nipple ends will flow more. Aren't rated for that, but they do.

Huh? Do the nipple type obstruct less than their specs suggest?

/ Hydraulic Quick Coupler Types #6  
Are any particular type better than another? As in less likely to leak, or easier to use?

/ Hydraulic Quick Coupler Types #7  
Poppet type are better.

And yes, mounting by the collar gives breakaway. And in the case of a two way sleeve, it gives the one handed connect.