I Need Help With A Hard Warm Start GC1715

/ I Need Help With A Hard Warm Start GC1715 #1  

atsah

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 3025E
I am trying to help a older gentleman with his 1715,

It's starts perfectly cold and runs great all day long, shut it off for 10 minutes and starts hard. When I go to restart it, I notice the fuel pump makes what I would call an intermittent sound. If it's cold the pump sounds steady. I replaced the pump and the new one acts the same.

I'm wondering if when the fuel is warm and circulates back through the lines to the tank, if there is a line that is partially collapsed and is causing this. If the tractor is cold and I squeeze the line coming from the tank a bit, I hear the same intermittent sound from the pump as if I was attempting a warm start. I want to put a vacuum gauge on it but it's pretty cold this week. The fuel lines on these tractors seems to be pretty soft, I have replaced all of mine with Gates line, much less apt to collapse on a bend on the frame.

I have fixed a couple of these tractors within the last year so I know the fuel system and electrical system on these pretty well, they are pretty simple little tractors.

Any help is appreciated.

/ I Need Help With A Hard Warm Start GC1715 #2  
Just a thought, but have you tried loosening the fuel cap? Maybe vacuum is building in the tank enough to reduce fuel flow? Cleaned my fuel cap this weekend and it was full of dusty garbage. I can see how this could pack up the vent.

/ I Need Help With A Hard Warm Start GC1715
Just a thought, but have you tried loosening the fuel cap? Maybe vacuum is building in the tank enough to reduce fuel flow? Cleaned my fuel cap this weekend and it was full of dusty garbage. I can see how this could pack up the vent.

I checked that first thing, no problem with the cap..

/ I Need Help With A Hard Warm Start GC1715 #4  
I am trying to help a older gentleman with his 1715,

It's starts perfectly cold and runs great all day long, shut it off for 10 minutes and starts hard. When I go to restart it, I notice the fuel pump makes what I would call an intermittent sound. If it's cold the pump sounds steady. I replaced the pump and the new one acts the same.

I'm wondering if when the fuel is warm and circulates back through the lines to the tank, if there is a line that is partially collapsed and is causing this. If the tractor is cold and I squeeze the line coming from the tank a bit, I hear the same intermittent sound from the pump as if I was attempting a warm start. I want to put a vacuum gauge on it but it's pretty cold this week. The fuel lines on these tractors seems to be pretty soft, I have replaced all of mine with Gates line, much less apt to collapse on a bend on the frame.

I have fixed a couple of these tractors within the last year so I know the fuel system and electrical system on these pretty well, they are pretty simple little tractors.

Any help is appreciated.

Doing a little McGyver will hep identify the problem.

Get something like a squeeze ketchup or mustard bottle.

Use a rubber hose to connect this bottle full of diesel to the tractor's injection pump.
Now you are bypassing everything. Hold the bottle above the injection pump and squeeze gently to feed the injection pump.

What make and model engine in the tractor?

Dave M7040

/ I Need Help With A Hard Warm Start GC1715
Doing a little McGyver will hep identify the problem.

Get something like a squeeze ketchup or mustard bottle.

Use a rubber hose to connect this bottle full of diesel to the tractor's injection pump.
Now you are bypassing everything. Hold the bottle above the injection pump and squeeze gently to feed the injection pump.

What make and model engine in the tractor?

Dave M7040

Thanks Dave. I was going to start a process of elimination and bypass each line but I like you're idea of eliminating everything forward including the IP. I have a sneaky suspicion That the line coming from the tank is the problem but I'm not going to jump on it just yet.

Very cold here and I don't have a heated space to work on it so it's slow going. These fuel lines on the GC's are very soft and I think the line is softening while running warm and were it rides along the frame it looked to be flattened out before it gets to the filter housing in one spot at a bend. It looks flatter there than anywhere else. I did eliminate the fuel filter housing by putting in a small inline filter, I hooked the OEM back in since that isn't the issue. I also ran another line from the FP to the IP to no avail.

I have the GC1705 so I'm use to it and from operating this tractor I'm working on, I would say it is lacking a little fuel, I notice the engine lugging just a bit more than mine does. I' pretty sure I have a collapsed line between the tank and the filter housing but I'm going to go slow with my elimination process..

2015 Massey GC1715 with 300 hours. Iseki 3 cyl..