I need some help with my 1552

/ I need some help with my 1552 #1  

DMF

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1552 Cab Model
I have a 1552 cab platform with around 1,300 hours on it. I just finished baling hay. I hooked up the hay wagon and we started loading bales with my daughter driving. When the wagon was loaded, she parked the tractor and wagon and shut it off. We then loaded a truck and trailer as well as the dump truck. When those were loaded, I went to the tractor to bring the wagon across the street to my neighbor's house. The tractor wouldn't start. No click, no lights on the dash, nothing. I tried turning the work lights on and they wouldn't light either. I tried jumping it with cables from the truck, no good. Last night I pulled the battery (only 4 years old and showing 12+ volts) to O'Rielly's and it tested fine. My connections look good. I checked the two slow burn fuses near the battery, the two near the starter and one other one somewhere in between; all look ok. I checked all the fuses in the cab and they seem fine as well. I am stumped. A friend suggested an open safety switch, but whenever I've tried to start it with the PTO on or in gear, etc. it would at least light up the dash and display what the issue was; I'm getting nothing at all.

Anyone else have this happen before? Any ideas?

/ I need some help with my 1552 #2  
The problem can easily be found using a volt / ohm meter and wiring diagram.
Trace it out.

/ I need some help with my 1552 #3  
Might be just bad cable, sometimes cables will corrode internally (under insulation) but appear sound... Also check ground cable connections... Loose or corroded cable connection to engine block/chassis could be issue... When checking fuses did you use ohm meter or just visual... Sometime visual checks are deceiving....

Dale

/ I need some help with my 1552 #4  
If your slow blow uses are good follow the wire harnesses as best you can and check for pinch points. Also check ground connections.

/ I need some help with my 1552 #5  
Could be the starter solenoid or starter itself? Just a thought, have had that happen on a pickup.

/ I need some help with my 1552 #6  
I have a 1552 cab platform with around 1,300 hours on it. I just finished baling hay. I hooked up the hay wagon and we started loading bales with my daughter driving. When the wagon was loaded, she parked the tractor and wagon and shut it off. We then loaded a truck and trailer as well as the dump truck. When those were loaded, I went to the tractor to bring the wagon across the street to my neighbor's house. The tractor wouldn't start. No click, no lights on the dash, nothing. I tried turning the work lights on and they wouldn't light either. I tried jumping it with cables from the truck, no good. Last night I pulled the battery (only 4 years old and showing 12+ volts) to O'Rielly's and it tested fine. My connections look good. I checked the two slow burn fuses near the battery, the two near the starter and one other one somewhere in between; all look ok. I checked all the fuses in the cab and they seem fine as well. I am stumped. A friend suggested an open safety switch, but whenever I've tried to start it with the PTO on or in gear, etc. it would at least light up the dash and display what the issue was; I'm getting nothing at all.

Anyone else have this happen before? Any ideas?
I've seen batteries have 12 volts with no amperage. It needs load testing. Also, test it at the starter lug and a good grounding point on the frame. Make sure it is in neutral just in case of an accident.

Could be the ignition switch too. Especially if you have no lights.

Possibly a faulty relay under the dash board. Start with the easy stuff first.

/ I need some help with my 1552 #7  
Because of the complete and total lack of response you almost certainly have lost GROUND contact somewhere along the line. I cannot agree with Vanderpool about using the word "easily" when tracing an electrical problem. Logically YES, easily, NO.

Suggest you find a very definite ground location somewhere on the frame or any handy ground strap. Run a jumper cable from the negative terminal on the battery to the ground on the frame and see if things work. They probably will, and then it is just matter of following the path to ground from the battery, cleaning connections, etc.