Comparison I purchased a Massey Ferguson GC1720 - here's why

/ I purchased a Massey Ferguson GC1720 - here's why #31  
My GC1710 tractor with backhoe is great. Within its limits.

When preparing the concrete pad for my garage, my excavator first used his tracked skid steer excavator. Way more powerful than my tractor. It was hard digging. He stopped using that excavator, and brought in an excavator about half the size of my house. Too big for any of his trailers-- he has to pay to move it from site to site.

So no matter what tractor you get, there is going to be some terrain that is beyond its capability.

ExcavatorA1.jpg

/ I purchased a Massey Ferguson GC1720 - here's why #32  
I'm really interested!

Thank you for this thread. I'm going through the pains of trying to figure out my first tractor and your thread has been a great help.

yeah, let's see those numbers!

O.

/ I purchased a Massey Ferguson GC1720 - here's why #33  
This is a great post.

So here is my current situation. My 1989 John Deere 655 decided to have a full on meltdown last January and burned itself and a 20x25 building down. This was my glorified tool shed and I lost my new JD mower and all my yard tools ladders ect. Long and short of it is I cranked the living crap out of it and she still didn't start after 10 minutes. 20 minutes later the building was on fire. I already miss my little green tractor.

I'm out and about shopping now. I have my choices narrowed down to the JD 1025r and the MF 1720. I don't have a need for a mower or anything. I am looking for just a bucket and hoe. I will do some tilling in the spring and fall. Only have 2 acres but I am a hobby landscaper and yard worker. It will all get used!

I recently found out about the Massey. Stopped at my local Massey dealer and gave one a look over and a short test drive. Things I liked, were the small dealer feel. Its in the heart of grape country and grape and fruit farms. The dealer has been there as long as I can remember and I am 42. When I asked for a write up slip on the costs the salesman emailed me a scan of a sales slip with handwritten figures. No 5 page write up like JD. Straight numbers and to the point. $16917 out the door with 4.99% interest rate.
PROS: metal hood, I keep reading the hoe has more power and reach, floating hoe bucket.
CONS: seat is was uncomfortable and steering wheel felt like it was a long reach. I had to hunch over. Position of the joystick was not as nice as a new JD and my 20 year old Deere for that matter. Front bucket seemed small. Defiantly smaller than my old tractor.

Then I went and looked at a new 1025r. Walking into a JD dealer is like walking into a new car dealer. Spit shined and polished glairing green everywhere. I already looked these over a year prior and knew all the answers from before. The out the door price on the unit was $21,580. When I first seen it I was like dang that looks bigger than the Massey. As soon as I sat in the seat I was like WOW! Such a better feel. The joystick was familiar and better than my old Deere.
PROS: Seat was much more comfortable, Ergonomics all around, Grill guard was much bigger than Massey,
CONS: $4663 more. Plastic plastic and more plastic.

Now I am up in the air. I was hooked on the Massey and kinda had sworn off Deere for the GREEN = GREEN. But after sitting on one and driving it I was blown away. Would I pay $4000+ more for a better seat and steering wheel? No not really. Would I pay that for the flash and show that JD probably has figured into every sale? No I wouldn't.

Am I going to regret the Massey in the long run? 10+ years?