I thought I fixed it... B21 won't start.

/ I thought I fixed it... B21 won't start. #1  

LazyBoy

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B21
OK, last weekend I went to start my B21, I just got a click, I charge the 10 year old battery to 100%, I still get just a click, I try jumping it and just a click, so I clean the terminals, click, I go get the battery checked and they load test it and it's toast, so I buy a new one, take it home and top it off with the charger, install it and get an instant start, I've never heard it start so fast, so I use it, park it until today and I go to start it and click!!!!! I charge it but it's not really down much 90%, so what do I do to fix the click? It's not clicking at the starter solenoid but somewhere in the dash sounds like.

/ I thought I fixed it... B21 won't start. #2  
You need a volt ohm meter...
Then you can start Measuring voltages at various places, like the starter While trying to start, the starter solenoid on all terminals and a few other places... then you can post some actual electrical conditions...

/ I thought I fixed it... B21 won't start. #3  
The click you hear is sometimes voltage to relay or solenold but not enough amps to activate the device check and make sure your battery connections are clean and tight since this is what you changed last Good trouble shooting

/ I thought I fixed it... B21 won't start. #4  
Each battery cable has two ends. Clean both ends. :)

Bruce

/ I thought I fixed it... B21 won't start.
Ok, It's going to be next weekend before I can work on it some more, I'll post back some voltages if cleaning the other end of the cables don't work.
I figured the other end was fine since it DID crank great after the new battery.

Well I went out and checked some volts, the battery has 12.5v the starter is getting 12.5v, so I tried turning the key to ON and jumping the starter with a jumper wire and when I jumped the neg. to the pos. solenoid posts all I got was a spinning starter but no engagement to the flywheel, I think I may have to apply 12v to the spade terminal also for it to engage? But anyway after I did that I tried to key start again and it fired right off, huh. So I went ahead and used it for what I needed to do while it was running, when I got finished I shut it OFF and was able to restart it 4 times in a row, so now I have a mystery.

/ I thought I fixed it... B21 won't start. #7  
Sounds as tho you have a bad connection somewhere the vibration of eng running probably move it enough to get connection. start at starter and check connections I usually loosen them and then tighten try as many as you can get pull on wire and see if it moves where connected most things don't fix themselves good luck

Well after cleaning all connections I'm pretty sure it's something to do with the starter solenoid, the last 2 times it's acted up and only clicked when I try to start it I discovered if I jumper the starter connections to make the starter spin but not engage that will shake something back into working order and then the key switch will work for quite awhile, so think it's a bad solenoid?

/ I thought I fixed it... B21 won't start. #9  
If you short across the terminals of the solenoid and all that happens is the starter motor whirs and spins but doesn't engage the flywheel it sounds like the bendix spring is not being charged.......engaging/pushing the gear on the end of the starter motor forward to mesh with the teeth on the flywheel............At this point I would be calling a starter rebuild type outfit and be asking them these questions and telling them these symptoms..........God bless....Dennis

/ I thought I fixed it... B21 won't start. #10  
Check the little wires on the solenoid, make sure "their' clean.
If all is clean, sounds like the solenoid is going on the starter, you could replace just the solenoid, but "I" would replace the whole starter.
Sometimes the windings in the starter get corroded and "short" demanding high amperage from the battery and in turn, weaken the solenoid.