I would appreciate your help

/ I would appreciate your help #1  

ed fox

Tractor
troy bilt sickle bar mower model 15003
Hello, I have a troy bilt sickle bar mower that the engine is no longer any good . I bought the unit new in 1989, and although the unit hasn't been used a lot, the fellow that I have working on it can not find a replacement engine . I would appreciate any leads on trying to locate a motor. It is a 4 HP cast iron model # 15003 and the serial # is 1000716.

Thank you very much

/ I would appreciate your help #2  
Welcome to TBN. :)

/ I would appreciate your help #3  
Welcome:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Can the old engine be rebuilt??

You may have to fabricate a new engine base if a new motor is used. There should be all kinds of different service engines available on the market.:)

/ I would appreciate your help #4  
Hello & WELCOME to TBN!

I moved your thread to the Parts/Repairs Forum. :)

/ I would appreciate your help #5  
Call these folks:

TulsaEngineWarehouse.com - How To Guide: Repowering With A New Engine

Give them the model and serial number of the engine and the sickle mower and they will tell you if there is one. A lot of engines were made for specific equipment manufacturers with slight differences, like the taper in the output shaft.

There may be other repower places just as good, but this happens to be the one I am aware of.

/ I would appreciate your help #6  
Try these guys. Small Engine Warehouse - Repower Outdoor Power Equipment

They are 15 miles from my house and specialize in re-powering older stuff. If they cant get you situated no one can.

By the way its one of the neatest stores I have seen of its type. The ran it for years out of a old large pole barn in the stick but about 2-3 years ago bought a grocery store that had went out of business. The place is huge. Must have well over 5,000 motors just sitting on the shelves.

Chris

/ I would appreciate your help #7  
Well I take back the 5,000 motors comment. The web site says they currently have 24,521 in stock. I would not have guess that many but hey.

They have everything from weed eaters to BobCats. They are a deal of Scag, BobCat, Cub Cadet, ect, ect, ect. Sell plenty of new stuff to used refurb items.

I would be 95% of their business is mail order/internet.

Chris

/ I would appreciate your help #8  
Back in the day when Small Engine Warehouse went under the name Roy Padgett's, Dad bought a new 16 hp Tecumseh for his Case 1816 skid steer. Priced one through a buddy of mine, who supposedly gave him a deep discount @ around $1100.00, bought one there for a little over $700.00.

He ended up buying 4 engines that day. Others were 3 hp B&S for his David Bradley 2 wheelers. In fact, there is still one setting in his shop,for a spare. Price, $79.99 still on it... He said he'd never seen that many new engines, in one place in his life... Just had to see it, to belive it. And that was the old place... I may have to make the trek there someday, just to have a look see.

Still have 1 or 2 Roy Padgett's ball caps here somewhere new in box... Collector items..?? Maybe someday...