Ideas/suggestions to convert a cutting table into a mult use table requested

/ Ideas/suggestions to convert a cutting table into a mult use table requested #1  

disney

Gold Member
Tractor
scag turf tiger 61" #2, gx95, sold f525 twice, f725 sold
Good evening TBN'ers I was 'lucky' enough to stumble across a barely used 4'x6' cutting table on craigslist, that I didn't really need, but just could not pass up. I do have a plasma, and a torch, but I do not expect to do that much cutting, and would like to set this up as more of a very heavy-duty work bench, that can also be used to cut (when needed).

I am thinking about getting a piece a plate 2'x4' about 1/2" thick, and making an end of it a welding type table, with a vise, and my new (and not even un-boxed) northern metal shear bolted to the plate. I was thinking about a 4x4 sheet of plywood for the rest, but not sure if that is the best way to go.

The table will be stored in one of those carport/storage canopies/tents so it will not get rained on, but it will be subject to wild temperature swings, and a fair amount of humidity. I was going to use pressure treated plywood, but I have read horror stories about warping, etc.

Although I can move this with forks, I do plan to mount a set of large heavy duty casters to it (not under the legs), that are easily removable, so I can move it around, but not worry about beating/breaking them If I have to really pound on something, or work with something really heavy.

So Does anyone have any suggestions/ideas that will not cost a small fortune? I already expect to pay about as much, if not more, for the casters as I paid for the table, and unless lightning strikes twice, 8sq of plate will definitely cost more than the table, but it is a very heavy duty table.

Oh and I do plan on painting the main frame, and maybe the lower mesh section.

Thank you in advance to all suggestions, except those that suggest I solve the problem by giving them the table....

Attachments

• table.jpg
    table.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 155
   / Ideas/suggestions to convert a cutting table into a mult use table requested #2  
if you get casters , get the locking ones ( then no need to remove them )

make vice tie down with wing nuts on both ends of some bolts ( easy to remove if necessary without tools )

put a heavy duty cord and electrical outlet on one of the legs .... ( always have a good place to plug in regular tools and not need an extension cord )

/ Ideas/suggestions to convert a cutting table into a mult use table requested #3  
For the money (not sure how much weight you have) one can buy large wheels/castors for scaffolding from metal scaffolding suppliers for only 25$ -30$ a castor - furthermore they come with a large threaded rod off the top of castor so you can lift and lower wheel easily with some minor welding. I have several tables outside (one weighs 1600 pounds) and a coat of paint is required and serves well to stop 95% of the rust issues - it (the paint) of course wears off here and there but those wear areas are also the areas that the rust gets rubbed of too if table gets much use. Pressure treated wood does warp pretty terribly...I'd use non-pressure treated and then liberally apply to surface an oil such as boiled linseed (cheap) or several others (more $) after wood is mounted in place