Idling, then shut down, will crank but not start

/ Idling, then shut down, will crank but not start #1  

solidwood4me

Tractor
2013 Mahindra 4035 HST
New to this forum, but here goes. While my Mahindra 4035 was idling, i was off the tractor getting another load ready to move, and the tractor shut down. Tried to restart it. It cranks fine, but just won't start up. Has plenty of fuel. Any ideas of what it could be? BTW, it is not PTO, in gear or anything like that. if it were, it would not turn over. I have had this tractor for 10 years now and the only problem was an ignition switch failure that in the failed state caused the starter motor to stay engaged and burned it up also.

/ Idling, then shut down, will crank but not start #2  
If a diesel has air and fuel it should start when cranked. I'd start by ensuring the air path is clear. Then I'd open a fuel line before the fuel filter to ensure you have good flow out of the tank. Sometimes crud will build up and not allow enough fuel to pass. After these you are into step by step troubleshooting.

/ Idling, then shut down, will crank but not start #3  
I second the fuel issue. When did you last fill up , Last yr i had the same thing happen after fueling up. water in fuel , Not good,

/ Idling, then shut down, will crank but not start #4  
Naturally check the fuel in the tank..
Next would be fuel pressure AT THE INJ PUMP INLET..
Check if the electric shut off solenoid is clicking..
A lot of times the solenoid/relay will get hot and won’t react until cool.
Next would be loosening the lines from the pump AT THE INJECTORS.. and spin the engine until fuel squirts out and tighten..
Good luck

/ Idling, then shut down, will crank but not start #5  
Naturally check the fuel in the tank..
Next would be fuel pressure AT THE INJ PUMP INLET..
Check if the electric shut off solenoid is clicking..
A lot of times the solenoid/relay will get hot and won’t react until cool.
Next would be loosening the lines from the pump AT THE INJECTORS.. and spin the engine until fuel squirts out and tighten..
Good luck
How much pressure would be expected at the injectors when cranking over? I am trouble shooting and this was one of my unknowns.

History of issue: I put fuel in and ran it for a number of hours with no problem. parked in barn, temps hit 110 in St. Louis area. Went to run it after that and it started as usual in about 5 seconds. It was idling and ran for about a minute when it started to miss and chug black smoke. Shut off and would restart but still miss and smoke. ( suspected that bad fuel after the heat might be the issue as it ran for about the time it would take to use up the fuel in the lines.)

I read the manual, drained fuel tank, replaced fuel filter, purged system in steps all the way to the injectors. Getting fuel at the injectors (although not under any pressure by hand pump or turning over.... Then I noticed the RED air indicator in the air fitter. Dah! Replaced both with new.

Now I can't get it to start. Going thru the fuel air purge for third time. If I blow in the tank, it will try to hit on a couple cylinders.

KSB and fuel shutoff value have voltage. I think replacing the Shut off vale is next. Any thoughts.