Ignition Coils and Electronic Firing

/ Ignition Coils and Electronic Firing #1  

GWheat

I’ve been looking at coils here lately and I’m wondering if the high performance coils with 45,000 volts is worth the investment.
Also would like some of y’alls opinions on swapping over to an electronic fired system.
Thanks for the insight.

/ Ignition Coils and Electronic Firing #2  
I had a Ford 3000 that I put electronic ignition in. I ran it for 6 or 7 years and never opened the distributer cap in that time. I sold it to a guy who would call me on occasion for advice on the tractor or implements, etc and I would always ask how the tractor was running and if he had had to mess with the EI or distribitor. Not once in the 6 or 7 years he had it did he ever have to touch it for spark problems. Now he's sold it and I've lost track of it but 13 or 14 years of no spark issues is very good I'd say.
I just used the original coil that was on the tractor.

/ Ignition Coils and Electronic Firing #3  
I used to adapt a factory Ford electronic ignition from a 390 to 391 Ford pumping units. No fiddling with points through out the year and instant starting. Well worth doing in my opinion.

Pertronix sells conversions that fit entirely into the distributor. I found they weren't always reliable enough for pumping unit use, (24/7 for several months) but for tractor use they work awesome.

/ Ignition Coils and Electronic Firing
Thanks for all the insight. Figure I’ll go ahead and upgrade it on up. Haven’t really heard a bad thing about the electronic upgrade.

/ Ignition Coils and Electronic Firing #5  
High voltage coils assist firing spark plugs under adverse conditions. Modern engines may have high compression (or turbo-super charger), high revving, wide plug gaps, and lean mixtures. Your old tractor has none of these. High voltage coils also mandate higher quality wires, cap, and rotor as there is a higher risk of spark over problems.

/ Ignition Coils and Electronic Firing
High voltage coils assist firing spark plugs under adverse conditions. Modern engines may have high compression (or turbo-super charger), high revving, wide plug gaps, and lean mixtures. Your old tractor has none of these. High voltage coils also mandate higher quality wires, cap, and rotor as there is a higher risk of spark over problems.
Well my high voltage coil is on its way with all the other parts I order for the old 4000. Guess I can just go pick up a standard coil at Napa.