IH 244/254 Front end swap

/ IH 244/254 Front end swap #1  

barkerwc4362

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 332 (1987 and 1989) and 2004 John Deere 790 with 300 loader
Anyone ever swapped the non-adjustable tubular front axle from a IH 244/254 for an adjustable rectangular front axle from an IH 254? My power steering equipped IH 244 has the non-adjustable tubular front axle and I want to put an adjustable rectangular front axle off a manual steering IH 254 on it. The frames they mount to are the same part number. The pivot pins are the same. The parts manual shows three differences between manual and power steering adjustable axles. One makes sense. It is the drag link going from the steering gear box to the steering arm. The other two are left and right axle assemblies that hold the knuckles. It makes me scratch my head. The knuckles and steering arms are the same on both versions. The IH 244 has a loader and I would like to put the heavier duty axle on it. Anyone have any experience with this?

Bill

/ IH 244/254 Front end swap #2  
I dont have any experience with this but your post caught my attention since my Mitsubishi MTE2000D is basically a FWD 254. I have been going back and forth between parts diagrams on Messicks CIH and I'm scratching my head too. I also noticed that your non adjustable 244/254 axle lists 2 different steering arms, part #1275161C1 for PS equipped models and # 1273550C1 for manual steering. The adjustable 254 lists only one arm (#1273550C1) for both manual and PS models. Just curious, do you already have an adjustable axle and if so, is it complete or are you planning on using your knuckles, steering arm, etc?

/ IH 244/254 Front end swap
Daryl, I have a complete adjustable rectangular front axle off a manual steering IH 254 that I want to swap. As I looked at the same diagrams you did I also saw that the non adjustable had two different steering arms, but the adjustable one doesn't. The knuckles for the two axles have completely different part numbers so I wouldn't attempt to use the knuckles off the non-adjustable on the adjustable and vise-versa. They use the same bushings, so they should fit, but how they are different I don't know. I haven't placed them side by side.

Bill

/ IH 244/254 Front end swap #4  
I wish I could be more help to you but in the end, I think the side by side comparison will tell the full story. Keep us up to date on how this goes!