IH 454 tractor,few questions.

/ IH 454 tractor,few questions. #1  

oz in SC

Silver Member
Tractor
None right now...
Found someone selling a 1972 IH 454,front loader with 4 way bucket,looks in decent shape(an old tractor so has some war wounds-cracked grille,surface rust) for $3500.

Thing is,it is a gas engine.

Nothing against gas engines but I like diesel-in both vehicles and tractors.

Is this a deal breaker,does it REALLY matter,especially considering how how diesel is nowadays?

Also any info,thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

/ IH 454 tractor,few questions. #2  
It's been working for 39 years with a gasoline engine. Put fuel in and use it. With that much time, a diesel, propane, gasoline, or turbine engine may give up the ghost the next time you run it, or it may last another 40 years.

If it works well, seems to have been maintained, is what you're looking for in size, features, and price, then buy it and use the thing. I would do it if it matched my needs. Take pictures when you go buy it and bring it home!

/ IH 454 tractor,few questions. #3  
The biggest difference between gas and diesel in the older tractors is fuel consumption. The diesel will use around 30% less fuel to produce the equivalent hp, but to offset that diesel repair parts will cost more. Price an injector vs. spark plug, or an injector pump vs. either a diaphragm fuel pump or gravity feed to the carb.

Fuel consumption doesn't really factor much in occasional use tractors. It is a bigger concern for high hour users. In a 39 yr. old tractor I personally would prefer a gasser.

/ IH 454 tractor,few questions.
The biggest difference between gas and diesel in the older tractors is fuel consumption. The diesel will use around 30% less fuel to produce the equivalent hp, but to offset that diesel repair parts will cost more. Price an injector vs. spark plug, or an injector pump vs. either a diaphragm fuel pump or gravity feed to the carb.

You actually are on to something there....our older MF diesel has been a PITA when things go wrong with the fuel system..
Fuel consumption doesn't really factor much in occasional use tractors. It is a bigger concern for high hour users. In a 39 yr. old tractor I personally would prefer a gasser.
That is interesting about preferring a gas engine...

I am waiting to hear back from the seller,trying to get as much info as possible as it is over 2 hours away.

/ IH 454 tractor,few questions. #5  
Early diesel tractors were problematic and it was common for guys in my dad's generation to steer clear of them. Diesels really didn't hit their stride until the 60's, and because of that alot of 60's and 70's tractor models were offered in both gas and diesel versions.

Both versions of any of these models would be basicallly identical performers on the business ends. The gas engines were generally stout, and simpler to service.

/ IH 454 tractor,few questions. #6  
We have an IH 454 diesel and it is a great little tractor, about 7000hrs on it now. The gas model was virtually identical as far as performance goes, if I were looking for a 454 I'd take either. The only real befit to the diesel is a little lower fuel consumption and they generally have a little longer service life before having to be overhauled. So unless you are going to be using it a lot, say over 200hrs a years, I wouldn't worry about gas vs diesel.

/ IH 454 tractor,few questions.
Well I am waiting to hear back from the seller regarding hours,and some other ??'s

They do have both the operators and service manual which is nice.

Also had someone offer us $3000 for our old MF industrial,would like a little more than that but we will see.