Buying Advice IHI Excavators

/ IHI Excavators #1  

martosfarm

Tractor
John Deere 1050
I been looking to buy a excavator for around my farm and to do some residential work too. I have looked at a lot of different brands. I came across a few good deals on IHI excavators but don't know much about them? Does anyone know anything good or bad? Some have yanmar diesels in them and others Isuzu diesels? My question is more to these engines are they good? I have looked up some rental sites on the old interweb and they use IHI equipment with good luck I guess? Any info or insite would be helpful? I figured its not a tractor but most guys into tractors know something about excavators as they are diesels as well? Let me know if anyone had one or ran one or knows a rental company that used them? By the way they are usually this light greenish blue color with some dark blue accents? Why? don't know? Ugly colors for a machine! HaHa
Thanks again!

/ IHI Excavators #2  
Funny, I was just reading a thread on another site with guys talking about the "best mini-ex". If it's bang for the buck, the first thing that came to my mind was the ugly-duck IHI brand. I've never run one, but I've heard that they run good. Both Yanmar and Isuzu make top quality diesels. If you think that color scheme looks bad on a mini, you should see it on a ctl! :laughing:

/ IHI Excavators #3  
I own a New Holland mini and it has a yanmar diesel in it. very tough little machine. been very good to me. I just keep it maintained no problems at all. easy access to the engine and hydraulic block. Good luck digging through all the different brands. some say they do more than others. not going to say any names (K*B**A) claims they are the best but I ran a few new ones before I decided on my used new Holland

I was not impressed being as there was a huge price difference. plus the weight class I was looking in the new Holland has all the controls set up for hand use. the aux are on the left stick when the "orange" ones I was looking at you have to operate your aux with your right foot. same zero tail swing.

Pretty much like the old saying goes "You get what you pay for" but they are all good machines just find the right one for you. go to a dealer and operate a few before deciding. maintain any brand excavator any shape or size and it will be good to you. they need plenty of grease!!

Good luck! -Tyler

/ IHI Excavators #4  
My foundation guy has nothing but IHI excavators and loves them. You can put them up against any other unit out there. I would buy one no questions asked. Only excavator i would want more is a Volvo to me those are like the caddys of construction equipment.