3-Point Hitch Imatch hook not staying hooked

/ Imatch hook not staying hooked #1  

93Mustang

Silver Member
Tractor
JD ##@)
I recently purchased a used bush hog sq600 which came with a swinging toplink connection that allows the mower to float. It will not stay in the imatch hook so I cannot lift the rear tire off the ground. I have been doing a bit of reading on tbn and one solution is to replace the angled braces and toplink section with chains. My question - has someone either fashioned something to "close" the top of the hook (it would have to open as well) or found some other solution using the existing mower hardware? I was thinking some sort of ubolt or something like that that would fit over and under the hook but i am guessing that it would have to be fairly stout. I could take the hitch off but would prefer not to.

Dana

/ Imatch hook not staying hooked #2  
There was a recent thread about that, but I forget what the best solution was.
I would probably try that closing off the top of the hook idea, sounds like the easiest thing to try first.
Any Pics?

JB.

/ Imatch hook not staying hooked #3  
   / Imatch hook not staying hooked #4  
Dana, you've captured a problem that I've been experiencing as well. I sure hope your post leads to a workable fix. I really don't want to take the quick hitch off every time I hook up the mower, either

I plan to try a couple of possibilities this weekend. I'm wondering if I can replace the hook on the hitch with a piece of stout chain looped around the pin on the swinging mower link, and then pinned to the hitch, through the holes where the hook used to be. Just not sure if the pins will hold in that configuration, but plan to find out. If that doesn't work, the same piece of chain could possibly be looped around the pin and hook, then pinned, acting as a retainer to hold the swinging link into the hook. I will take some pictures, since I may not be explaining this very well.

/ Imatch hook not staying hooked #5  
mburke
I think you will find your answer in the link to the thread above.

/ Imatch hook not staying hooked #6  
It looks like the top hook should be picking up a sleeve(part 6) in the top of the a-frame, where it can't come loose or pivot.

Diagram from:
BushHog Parts Diagrams

Edit:
Found there are two hitch diagrams on that page. The first looks like the quick hitch version. The second may be what you have coming loose.

Last edited:
   / Imatch hook not staying hooked
Yup- it is part 3 in the second diagram. It attaches to the toplink and let's the mower float. It won't stay in the hook.

/ Imatch hook not staying hooked #8  
I think I saw that Landspride has an optional attachment for their hitch that is made for attachments with a swivel top link. I don't know if it will work on other quick hitches, but maybe you could fabricate somethings similar.

I attached the parts manual. I had to delete some of the pages to meet the size restraint, but if you go to their site you can download the complete manual.

Attachments

• 320-003p.pdf
    364.3 KB · Views: 231
   / Imatch hook not staying hooked #9  
Yup- it is part 3 in the second diagram. It attaches to the toplink and let's the mower float. It won't stay in the hook.

Mustang
Consider tossing part #3 and bringing the #1 straps forward so the bushing #4 fits in the iMatch top hook.

Then replacing the straps #2 with chains (1/4 or 5/16") to act in tension only when lifting the rear of the deck. The chains will allow the float that the pivoting link allows.