In need of some really basic help

/ In need of some really basic help #11  
The 8Ns were, and are, great tractors. But I would recommend you find something with a front end loader. Beyond the rotary cutter, the FEL is the most valuable implement you will get on a tractor. There is no end to the uses you will find for it. And with horses, I would consider it almost essential. You could get a carryall and a rear scoop for an 8N, but that would in no way compare to an FEL. Just my opinion, of course. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ In need of some really basic help #12  
I have been in your exact situation. First - are you mechanically inclined? For $5,000 or less, you need to be! I am a hobby tractor seller/trader/fanatic with 40 acres of forgotten fields and woods. Here are your options - all will require maintenance and repair from time to time:

1) Old Iron - a ford 600, 800 or other 3 digit would be best because it will have a live PTO and hydraulics. I have seen clean 600s with brush hog for 2500-3000. This leaves some money for other attachments as needed. Loaders were available, but they are slow and clunky - and do not come off. Plan on a grand or less additional if it has a loader.

2) Really old iron - Ford 2, 8 or 9n - these are from the 40s and 50s. OLD....but good, and cheap. They do not have live hydraulics or PTO - which means the clutch must be out for the lift to work, or the PTO shaft to spin. Very big pain in the butt! Price is about the same as the 600 and 800 series, which is why I suggest looking for a 600. You can tell I like Fords, but also consider Oliver 1600 series, Massey Ferg 35, 50, 135, 165 etc. Masseys are my other favorite. All these options are gas powered, with all that goes with it.

3) Older used Compact - for $5,000 you can get an older (80s) used compact - I have a massey 25hp 4wd compact with low hours that I snapped up for pretty good money- but snapped up is the right term. I saw the ad on Sunday, called monday, cash, trailer, no waiting - sold. There were 4 other people coming that night - in January, 12 degrees with light snow falling. They move fast! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

4) Grey market - these tractors are made for in Japan for the Japanese market, and imported used in the US> No official dealer support, which is a challenge, and most important for you - these tractors are all small - most under 20hp. So I would avoid this route entirely.

5) Chinese new tractor- perhaps you enjoy spinning a wrench. HA HA I shouldnt be so mean. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif If you want a shiney new tractor, and a shiney garage floor from all the leaking fluids, you can get a chinese tractor for $5 grand new. It will run for a while and you will probably end up pushing it off a cliff out of frustration. Skip this option if you actually want to use your tractor. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Take my opinion with a grain of salt, but understand that I have talked to literally dozens of tractor owners, buyers, sellers, auctioneers, dealers, so I have gotten around. Find a ford 600 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ In need of some really basic help #13  
<font color="blue">...$$ is a huge concern, hence the used (very used most likely) requirement.... </font>

What is your $$$ budget?

/ In need of some really basic help #14  
I'll also suggest "old iron." If you're mechanically inclined, great! If not, it would certainly help to be friendly with someone who is. Old Fords, Masseys, Olivers, Cases, JDs, Whites, et al are readily available with plenty of life left in them. Check out AgDealer for something in your area.

/ In need of some really basic help
My budget is currently $5k. It MIGHT be negotiable if I find we just can't get anything decent for that price that isn't going to be in need of constant repair. I am not mechanically inclined (at least not yet!) and while hubby can do a few things with a car, he's got no experience with tractors at all.

I'll definitely check out agdealer, thanks!

Based on your budget, I might still stick with older iron if you want to stay out of debt, and put the $$$ into attchments and a loader. The loaders may be slow, but they work, and there is no requirement that they come off; it's nice, but I'll bet that more than 50% of the folks with quick-remove loaders never take them off.

As to which old iron, in my opinion, you're best sticking with a Ford; there is at least one site on the internet which guarantee they stock every part for every Ford tractor ever made. I, too, recommend the 600 series or newer. I love the N series. I had a deposit on one before I came to my senses and bought a new tractor. But there are definite limitations in the way the PTO (power take-off) works.

But now, take everything I said and throw it out the window now that I know you have ~$5,000 and some possible room for stretch. That's exactly what I had when I set my priorities. I put $5K down payment on a new New Holland complete with a package of new attachments, and am paying off the balance over 36 months with 0% interest - same as cash, less than $300/month! You could get by with something as small as my TC18 as long as you are willing to take 4' wide cuts with the brush hog instead of 5' or 6'. Or, you can go bigger - your dealer will be as happy with a $5K deposit on a TC33D as on a TC18, for example - just a few bucks more per month.

Now, you have a modern tractor with safety features, loader, hydrostatic drive, 4WD, power steering, great hydrualics, proper 3PH, your choice of tires, and whatever attachments you want for your $5K, and have a warranty, a dealer that (hopefully) will fall all over himself to help you, and can get busy with the fun of using the tractor instead of repairing the tractor.

I use the New Holland only as an example (although I wouldn't have picked it if I didn't like it); you can do equally well with Kubota or John Deere, depending on your preferences and the dealers in your area. As for the Korean, Japanese and Chinese tractors not supplied by the big three, it's my observation that few of them come with hydrostatic drive and dealer service may be spotty, and the finance packages may not be as attractive. There are exceptions, but there must be some reason why the price is lower, right? They all use similar components from similar sources; even the "big 3". But, that doesn't mean you shouldn't consider them - just be aware that you may not be comparing oranges to oranges. You'll also get a lively debate on whether hydrostatic drive is better than gear drive (which is what's on most of the imports); all I can say is I love my hydro, although I did spend about 80 hours on a Caterpillar Power Shift loader in the last couple of weeks, and that's pretty neat, too - all electric clutch and shifting (for about $50K).

/ In need of some really basic help #17  
You have some GREAT advise here. My story is documented somewhere in the safety forum, on rollovers. I will not bore you with the details, since I made my pitch for safety already.

My new pitch to you is what other noters have said. That of maintainance. Don, mentioned in a post of taking your money and buying new. That is another good piece of advise.

My Farmall circa 1949 was an exciting idea. I am mechanically aware, though not inclinded. I have no fond memories of that tractor. It served the purpose at the time, but all I recall is *messing* with it for hours, just to cut the grass. And back then, I had a lot less grass. I rebuilt the carburetor three or four times. the fuel system twice, the brake system twice, radiator once. The magneto, sent to the repair shop, hey what the heck is a magneto? Well I found out. My neighbor also rebuilt the whole thing for me after it rolled. Of course he did it after I had enough and pulled it into the garage for a more complete overhaul, rust, primer paint, wiring, electical system, blah, blah, blah.....

Now I have a nice, shiney new tractor, with all the modern safety features one could ask for. I have a dealer that supports me, I have the Kubota forum to give me advise, most of all, I turn the key and go.

After I put my glasses and seat-belt on. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

And the nice part ---- I have YET to call someone over in a sheepish voice to yank me out of some spot I use to get the Farmall stuck in.

From Don:
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( and can get busy with the fun of using the tractor instead of repairing the tractor.
)</font>
'nuf said.
-Mike Z. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ In need of some really basic help #18  
If you want the most usable horsepower for the dollar, go the route of the 2-9-8N - parts available everywhere, books available everywhere, multiple internet-based sources of info, etc.

If you want something that may be more user friendly and stay in the same price range, go with a YM1300 to YM3000 Yanmar. These are diesel powered tractors (the cheaper ones with gear transmissions, the nicer ones with powershift). These tractors will probably feel more user friendly and you may feel more comfortable with a smaller tractor that is more managable.

The parts/service issue for Yanmars is virtually a non-issue (for the YM series at least). There are tons of sources for parts, new and used - just stick with the most common models. Yes, I am biased because I have had one for over 4 years and the only things that I have replaced have been filters and had a little welding done on the 3 pt hitch - that's it.
As far as service, get a Harbor Freight catalog and buy a huge set of cheap tools and learn how to work on tractors - it's not too tough, plus you get to buy cool tools!

For $5,000 you can probably get a 4wd gear drive tractor with a FEL. No, it will not have a seat belt, ROPS, Live PTO, etc. but safety devices are no substitute for a careful operator. Many folks have been killed/injured because their tractors didn't have these features, but alot more people haven't been killed carefully operating their tractor.

Good Luck

Take it easy

Tim Gray

/ In need of some really basic help #19  
Welcome to TBN! Gosh, your place and plans sound almost exactly like ours... 10.5 acres, 6 open for pasture, building a house, etc. Where in NC are you located? I'm in Greensboro.

I faced pretty much the same decision last year and bought a new Kubota tractor, but the advice about getting a used farm tractor is very sound if you are on a tight budget. Here are some additional random ideas for you to consider.

1. Mowing that old pasture regularly will bring out the grass and eventually drive out most of the briars. So getting your own brush mower is probably at the top of your priorities.
2. Eventually you will want something with more versatility. For example, the front-end loader (FEL) is great for cleaning horse stalls, landscaping chores and a thousand other things, but it's pretty expensive, and it can be hard to find an older farm tractor with one in good condition. So, if you buy that used tractor now, maybe when the budget allows, you can replace it with a new compact rig that has all the bells and whistles.
3. I would look for a used tractor that is in decent condition and has been well-maintained, as best can be determined. As someone mentioned, finding parts for a used Ford, John Deere, etc. is usually not an issue, but even if you have the skills to do your own repairs, unless you are a gearhead, you really don't have the time to put into a really worn, fixer-upper.
4. If you have any hills, ditches, ravines, etc. on your property, be careful about how you would/would not drive the tractor on them. These older agricultural tractors are built with high ground clearance and upsets are an all-too-common tragedy on them. If you get one, think about adding a ROPS (roll-over protection) kit, which is available for many older tractors.
5. Take some time to check out some of the ag equipment dealers. You will learn a lot just from kicking the tires and 'talking trash' with them!
Good luck!

Grandad, I sent you a private e-mail /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif