In the market for a new tractor ..Kubota, Mahindra, Branson?

/ In the market for a new tractor ..Kubota, Mahindra, Branson?
Normally, many folks don't concern themselves with timely self-reporting of out of state purchases to ante up the tax due when they return home. But, if you are starting a business, then things might need to be done more by the books.

The upcharges for the third function and grapple seem about twice what they should be, to me. You can't buy that deleted rear cutter for $500, to start with. And, I agree with 4570man about the true SSQA being the ticket. Anything less limits you.

Why are you buying all new, especially if you plan on only working with this stuff part time to begin??

So that I have a full warranty on it for as long as possible....some of the guys where I work do NOT know how to properly operate our tractor equipment and it shows and causes needless repairs.....I never bought a new vehicle for a long time, the last 2 I bought new....both lasted to 100,000+ with no serious problems.....pay a little more upfront, for savings on the backside...I wouldn't get lucky and get a GOOD used tractor....the way my luck seems to run.......my first car about "dollar'd" me to death......

/ In the market for a new tractor ..Kubota, Mahindra, Branson? #12  
Well, it's a question of how much more is the new machine vs. something equally capable that's used; assuming the used machine is in good shape. I am no expert or experienced diesel guy, but I have "gotten lucky" three times now buying used. Seems like the odds are better if you look carefully for a machine that appears like it has been taken care of, works well, has clean fluids and so forth, and the owner comes across as an honest person with a passable reason for selling.

Of course, that means that not all tractors you look at will be worth considering, but I think you might just find one for enough money less than new that you "win" this time. There are lots of friendly folks here on TbN that you can ask for advice on specifics so that you aren't in this quest alone. Start with Kubotas. With few exceptions, everyone seems to have good luck with them- and there are certainly plenty of them used for sale. Same with Deeres, but they are an unknown for me. If you aren't in a hurry, I am pretty certain that you could do this and be happy about it in a year. Just my viewpoint.

/ In the market for a new tractor ..Kubota, Mahindra, Branson? #13  
Hello folks....my name's Stanley .....I'm a Landscape Crewleader for a local county Govt. I've been in the landscaping/green industry for about 30 years+ and have been at my current job for almost 20. I'm thinking about buying a used F350(or similar set-up) flat bed dump and then get a tractor package deal and start doing some small jobs on the side. If things were to go well, I could maybe start my own small business full time. I'm currently researching 3 brands of tractors.....I use a kubota 3130 TLB type set-up at work, but have operated everything up to and including a pay loader. I am very experienced on many types of equipment and have thought about putting my knowledge to work for ME for a change......I am thinking about doing small grading jobs like adding gravel to driveways, hauling small loads of mulch, gravel, etc, etc.....and would maybe do light clearing with a grapple bucket. I'm not stuck on any one brand, but usually really do my homework before jumping into something. I am considering these 3 packages......

https://steenent.com/inventory/kubota-bx25dlbr1-tractor-package28/

I would rather have the quick detach bucket and a land pride grapple if I go with the Kubota....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATlHXSl9ftE

I have actually look at the Mahindras....there's a new dealer 3 miles from me.....

TractorHouse.com

The 3rd tractor is the Branson.....I understand it's a South Korean made tractor..I have a 2007 Kia Sorento made there and it's been a fine vehicle....just not sure I could get a grapple set-up like the one Kubota has for this size tractor...

New 24 HP Branson Farm Tractor - Backhoe - Trailer - Box Blade - Reed & Reed Sales

Any advice would be welcome......Thanks

Welcome Stanley! Interesting side business idea you have. The Bx25-size machines are little workhorses that can do the sort of work you describe around residential properties quite effectively. I have done gravel driveways, grading trucked-in fill and topsoil, lawn prep, patio demoltions, mulch and quite a bit more. Not commercially, but enough to convince me my little BX is near perfect for low-impact work where larger, heavier equipment really can't operate. Of course some can only think in terms of much larger machinery, which plainly has its place, but that's a different circumstance. Just as food for thought, I've been seeing some landscapers around here using those little stand-on-the-back micro skidsteers with tracks (Toro?), and recently looked at the Ventrac and Steiner equipment popular with the turf and golf course industries. Some unconventional, probably pricey, alternatives.

/ In the market for a new tractor ..Kubota, Mahindra, Branson?
Welcome Stanley! Interesting side business idea you have. The Bx25-size machines are little workhorses that can do the sort of work you describe around residential properties quite effectively. I have done gravel driveways, grading trucked-in fill and topsoil, lawn prep, patio demoltions, mulch and quite a bit more. Not commercially, but enough to convince me my little BX is near perfect for low-impact work where larger, heavier equipment really can't operate. Of course some can only think in terms of much larger machinery, which plainly has its place, but that's a different circumstance. Just as food for thought, I've been seeing some landscapers around here using those little stand-on-the-back micro skidsteers with tracks (Toro?), and recently looked at the Ventrac and Steiner equipment popular with the turf and golf course industries. Some unconventional, probably pricey, alternatives.

Glad to hear from someone who appears to have done what I have in mind.....I know the other type of machines you are referring to...and actually rented one for pushing brush back from my back fence line......it had the tracks....it about shook my teeth fillings loose on the hard ground.....lol....and a stump I didn't see knocked a track off....took me a few minutes, but I got it back on.....

/ In the market for a new tractor ..Kubota, Mahindra, Branson? #15  
As for sizes, the BX-type tractor is about as small as you can get. One step up gets you into tractors with about the same power but in a slightly larger chassis having more ground clearance, lifting ability, etc. You gain capability but maybe lose a little maneuverability in close quarters. Not long ago I took my BX box blade (4 ft.) to my cousin's place for some grading work behind his slightly larger B2620. There was little difference in how the two machines operated, although the 3 range HST transmission and smoother hydraulics were nice features compared to the little BX. But the BX can go through a 48" gate, unlike the larger machine.

Shop around the brands and dealers in your area. Most brands make pretty good equipment, but you'll probably end up liking one more than the others.

/ In the market for a new tractor ..Kubota, Mahindra, Branson? #16  
I bought a Branson brand new in 2004. I had a lot of troubles with it. Back to the dealer 3 times in the first year for major repairs. All covered by warranty but lots of lost time. I was doing commercial work with it and put a few hundred hours on it that year. Maybe they have got better in the last ten years I don't know.

You can't go wrong with Kubota. Anything extra you pay when you buy it you will get back when it comes time to sell or trade in. I am a Deere fan but own several Kubota things and they make good stuff. It is so popular for a reason.

Have you considered buying used? Lots of people run out and buy these compact tractors and then realize they didn't need one as bad as they thought they did. Around here I frequently see tractors for sale with very low hours. If you are running a business to make money saving on your upfront costs will go a long way to being profitable.