In the market for a new tractor

/ In the market for a new tractor #1  

Stanley B

Bronze Member
Tractor
2015 BX25D
Hello folks....my name's Stanley .....I'm a Landscape Crewleader for a local county Govt. I've been in the landscaping/green industry for about 30 years+ and have been at my current job for almost 20. I'm thinking about buying a used F350(or similar set-up) flat bed dump and then get a tractor package deal and start doing some small jobs on the side. If things were to go well, I could maybe start my own small business full time. I'm currently researching 3 brands of tractors.....I use a Kubota 3130 TLB type set-up at work, but have operated everything up to and including a pay loader. I am very experienced on many types of equipment and have thought about putting my knowledge to work for ME for a change......I am thinking about doing small grading jobs like adding gravel to driveways, hauling small loads of mulch, gravel, etc, etc.....and would maybe do light clearing with a grapple bucket. I'm not stuck on any one brand, but usually really do my homework before jumping into something. I am considering these 3 packages......

https://steenent.com/inventory/kubota-bx25dlbr1-tractor-package28/

I would rather have the quick detach bucket and a land pride grapple if I go with the Kubota....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATlHXSl9ftE

I have actually look at the Mahindras....there's a new dealer 3 miles from me.....

http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=9363829&dlr=1&pcid=2859812

The 3rd tractor is the Branson.....I understand it's a South Korean made tractor..I have a 2007 Kia Sorento made there and it's been a fine vehicle....just not sure I could get a grapple set-up like the one Kubota has for this size tractor...

New 24 HP Branson Farm Tractor - Backhoe - Trailer - Box Blade - Reed & Reed Sales

Any advice would be welcome......Thanks

/ In the market for a new tractor #2  
Kubota has the best reputation but that is also a smaller tractor. It just depends on what you want to do. I also would get a dump trailer over a 1 ton dump. The dump trailer will haul a lot more weight, maybe in the range of 4 to 5 tons where a 1 ton dump will haul half that or less.

/ In the market for a new tractor #3  
If you are planning on doing commercial work get a HEAVY tractor that will hold up. Tractors that are fine for residential work 100 hours per year are unlikely to stand up to 160 hours per month for long. You cannot stand downtown when you have completion deadlines with customers. Twenty-four horsepower is not enough for commercial work.

Rather than have a big 'nut' to make on a new tractor, I would shop of a HEAVY used tractor with 1,000 hours on it.

You will need a trailer to haul your tractor to jobs. You will need a heavy truck to haul your trailer and tractor.

Before you go too far in your plans check your cost for liability insurance. You can't work without it. If you will have employees, you will need employee compensation too. Insurance for commercial tractor operators is EXPENSIVE because risk is high.

Also, the economy is probably as good as it is going to get. Base your projections on business you would expect to have in a recession so your small business does not choke should the economy tank.

/ In the market for a new tractor #4  
Welcome to the forum, Stanley.

:welcome:

I'm going to move your thread over to the buying and comparisons section to see if we can get you some more advice.
Best of luck with your potential new business!

/ In the market for a new tractor #5  
Greetings Stanley,

Welcome to the forum.

My suggestions likely will be considerably different than others . . so "agreement" is not my goal.

Starting a business has tons of issues. When I started my 1st business . . my goal was to always survive 1 more year and be flexible to changes that the economy will likely demonstrate.

1. I'd look at getting a NEW sub compact tractor like a Massey GC1700 series (4 models).
a. 5 year warranty when you likely can't afford the risk of used tractor repairs AND easy financing.

b. Size. A big tractor is hard on fancy lawns and wealthy property owner work.

c. Size flexibility . . Getting into locations or doing lawn maintenance work.

d. There is now a quick attach and numerous dirt and rock buckets and grapples and forks etc available for the Massey GC1700 series all from a single 3rd party vendor.

e. There are many Massey dealers . . rather than just a few.

f. A combination of options and benefits . . . yet pricing is excellent.

2. Because your business needs flexibility . . . you want to appeal to those who always need you . . not the ones who need you once and done. So a new sub compact tractor and a used skid steer would give you flexibility at a combined cost for winter and summer variety.

3. Trailer . . a 14 foot dump trailer can easily be pulled by a 3/4 ton pickup and can haul a skidsteer or sub compact tractor as well as dirt or rocks etc. and still have tight manuevering and not require a big truck.

4. Implements . . Forks for fel on tractor . . Regular bucket plus a dirt and/or rock buckets with the same quick attach provider. Grapples . . 2 sizes (mini size for tight access and a more standard 2 or 4 footer all for tractor . . again all quick attachable. A 3pt box scrapper and a 3pt. Sprayer.

Point of my opinion is . . if you find your business growing in equipment size needs . . you can always add. But first . . you have to prove yourself . . and in my opinion that means getting frequent jobs not a couple of big jobs. If the economy declines as it is starting to show . . Big jobs will be keenly competitve and few . . but the smaller work is never ending if you are good.

/ In the market for a new tractor
If you are planning on doing commercial work get a HEAVY tractor that will hold up. Tractors that are fine for residential work 100 hours per year are unlikely to stand up to 160 hours per month for long. You cannot stand downtown when you have completion deadlines with customers. Twenty

I don't plan on doing commercial work....I get enough of the big jobs at my regular, full time job...I'm going to aim for a niche...small jobs done for homeowners who would rather pay someone to do it for them...my MIL needed gravel added to her small driveway....no one wanted to do it......and I have lots of friends who have told me the same thing....I can straight out pay for the tractor package in the size I want to get even if it never makes me a dime, so any jobs I do with it will go towards the payment....the loan payment would be a considerable amount less than the last new SUV I bought......I have thought about getting a business license and liability insurance before working for anyone else....I was told by some small business owners that it's around $50/yr for the license and $500-$750 for a 1 million liability policy...really surprised me it'd be that cheap....with that being said, a co-worker who has been a plumber for 40 years and has a plumbing business on the side, told me he use to have liability insurance but doesn't now...but that he will get it again when he retires from his FT job next year and starts working his own business full time....I plan on checking to see if a person can get a liability policy without the business license? If you get a business license, do you have to get a tax ID#?.....I think he told me that he keeps his business earnings separate but has an accountant do his taxes.......I will check it out before I jump in all the way.......

Last edited:
   / In the market for a new tractor
I do like the convenience of a quick attach system for a grapple bucket.....Kubota's 25XD has a nice system....I looked at a Branson 2400H today, and that size doesn't have a quick detach..it would have to be an aftermarket set-up?.....it did have the hook-ups if one was added there on the bottom of the bucket control box.....The Mahindra 26XL has a QK detach bucket...but would cost extra for the 3rd valve to run it, of course...plus the cost of the grapple bucket....the ONE thing I keep agonizing over is if I should pony up for the backhoe on the initial purchase, or leave it off for now.....I want a box blade for any package deal I get though......other stuff could be added later.....Thanks for all the advice folks...I really appreciate it