INJECTION FOAM

/ INJECTION FOAM #1  

antlers125

Silver Member
Tractor
LS J2023h
I own a single story ranch home w/ masonry block walls & am considering filling the walls w/ the injected foam for insulation. Does anyone have any information or experience about this product as far as doing it yourself, equipment rental, hazards, one product over another, energy efficiency, etc. Any info. is much appreciated.

/ INJECTION FOAM #2  
From past experience it usually doesn't go as well as the sales people say. The foam has a tendency to only partially fill the wall giving you gaps in the insulation. The only way to overcome this is to make so many holes that your masonry repair bill outweighs the benefit if the insulation. The only insulation I have found that effectively fills voids in a built wall is vermiculite. But vermiculite is not used anymore because much of it also has asbestos.

Are both inside and outside finished? If not I would look at laminating a rigid foam on one side or the other then putting on the finished wall.

/ INJECTION FOAM #3  
Injection foam is a waste of money, as has been mention by OP..it leaves voids. Ditto blown fibre, etc.

I like Sheet foam on the inner walls , then good sealed vapor barrier, ventilated air space, then drywall all over again...its pricey to do it right.
Some just remove the siding, place good vapor barrier, then foam sheets, thenTYVEK, then new ventilated siding. IMO that is the best way.

/ INJECTION FOAM
Yes they are. Exterior is brick on the front & stucco on the sides & back. Interior is drywall. Any other options besides spray foam?
Are both inside and outside finished? .

/ INJECTION FOAM #5  
Have you checked into efficiency rebates? Up here we have a rebate program that will help offset the cost.

I don't have any other ideas off the top of my head. Have you talked with an insulator about the best way?

I mentioned the rebate program because to do the job the best possible way is to remove drywall and insulate the stud cavities. But this is loads of work. Even to do one wall at a time. With the rebate program they may be able to help out financially.

I'll have to do some research to find the best way to insulate a finished wall.

/ INJECTION FOAM #7  
My parents house,built in the early fifties,is red clay block,with brick veneer on outside and plaster walls on inside. When my brother took it over,he checked with companies on injecting foam into the red clay block. They told him it would take so many holes to insure that all cavities got filled that it was not cost effective. His solution was to fur out the exterior wall with 2x4's,insulate with R13 bats and drywall. House had big enough rooms that the 4"s he lost did not make a big difference in rooms.

/ INJECTION FOAM #8  
I remember this operation 40 years ago and the pressure caused a wall to collapse contractor had to buy house. Manufacturer of injection system said it wasn't to be used on masonary masonary type construction. ---Trevor

/ INJECTION FOAM #9  
Concrete block has to many "shorts" to effectively insulate from the inside of the block. The webs in the block itself are perfect pathways for heat or cold.

/ INJECTION FOAM #10  
Did a little research. Found that there are a couple other types of blown in insulation. One is cellulose the other is fibreglass. Each can be done with either a low or high volume fill.

The high volume should be done by a professional because of the risk of blowing out the wall. The low volume can be done by a DIY'er, using rental equipment.