Injector pump

/ Injector pump #1  

DanMan1

Hello Everyone. I just bought an 83 205-4. It has a 65CI Toyosha 2 cyl diesel with a Diesel Kiki injector pump. I have never owned a diesel before so my question may seem stupid but bear with me. The engine seems to have good power but to me it seems rough even at full speed. But I don't know if that is normal for a twin diesel.

This tractor uses a sight tube coming off the top of the fuel filter then into the top of the fuel tank,as a fuel level indicator.
When I looked at this sight tube with the engine idling, the fuel was jumping up and down about 2 inches with each cycle!When I brought the RPM's up, it continued until it was fast enough to froth up the fuel in the sight tube. Is this normal, or do I have a stuck check valve or something? I wouldn't think the injector pump should blow fuel back to the tank, or should it?

/ Injector pump #2  
Hi,
I have operated and serviced diesel powered equipment for 45 years, from large commercial engines to the MF 35. All of these engines have a return line from the pump or injectors and/ or fuel fillter back to the tank. In your case I think you are looking at the fuel return line. Don't worry about the appearance of the fuel returning to the tank, it is the fuel going to the fuel pump that needs to be clean and air free. That clear tube is not likely the fuel tank level indicator either, at least I wouldn't trust it.

/ Injector pump
Thanks for the response rcraft.
The tube I am talking about IS the level sight tube. There is a sticker at the bottom indicating the minimum fill level of diesel.
Here is a picture of it.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 594536-tractor.JPG
    594536-tractor.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 266
   / Injector pump #4  
Thanks for the photo. I see what you mean and I agree with you, there must be another fuel line running from the bottom of the tank to the top of the filter in order for the sight tube to work. As for the rough operating (vibration) of the engine, that would be normal for a 2 cylinder diesel engine. Because of the higher cylinder pressures that diesels must operate at this creates more engine movement or vibration as compared to a equal size gas engine. Enjoy the power that a diesel gives you.

/ Injector pump #5  
I'd say it's normal, I have an AC tractor with a larger 2 cyl Toyosha engine and the same sight tube, fair amount of vibration at slow speeds smooths out as it winds up, but it still vibrates.