inspection pit

/ inspection pit
If it were me, I'd get a lift before a pit any day. Do you have the height clearance for a lift?

4Shorts in Newfoundland used to have a pit in one of his garages, and he filled it in last year.

Well I could have the height as I havent built the carport or what ever yet but before I do and pour the floor I was thinking of this pit thing. I'm thinking that the cement place near here could has ceptic tanks and maybe its an idea if they are not to much. Just a thought. A lift would be thousands. I agree on you political correctness theory. Has runied a lot of things.

/ inspection pit #12  
A friend of mine just had a storm shelter put in his garage. This is basically a pit with a sliding lid. You can utilize it as service pit with the cover slid open. My friend was bragging about this ability, however he seldom does any of his own maintenance anymore. Be sure to have a way to clean out the spills. I used one as a youngster and cleaning up spilled oil was a real pain!

/ inspection pit #13  
Seems to me a lift would have a lot more flexibility, a pit would kind of pigeon hole you into certain types of work.

/ inspection pit #14  
A lift would be thousands. I agree on you political correctness theory. Has runied a lot of things.

I think you'll find a lift to be far cheaper than excavating the ground, getting a septic tank or forming a pit, pouring it, etc, etc, etc.

Check out Bend-Pak and Northern Tool for models and pricing.

Thanks regarding my political correctness comment.

/ inspection pit #15  
I can't think of a common precast septic tank size that would be anywhere narrow or long enough to be useful as the basis for a service pit.
Count me among those who think a pit is a supreme waste of square footage and dollars.

/ inspection pit #16  
Seems to me a lift would have a lot more flexibility, a pit would kind of pigeon hole you into certain types of work.
Pit / pigeon hole
Pun intended

I can only imagine what an insurance companies policy would be on them as well. Just something to ponder. :eek:
Seems I've heard they will not insure a place that has them .
Probabl would cancel a police if a pit was found on e piece of property .