Instant reverse sump

/ Instant reverse sump #1  

jfharper

On my MF 205 industrial, I took my oil sump and screen off today and noticed there were two grooves it looks like someone ground out with a wheel grinder in order to connect the two reseviors for the clutch area and gear area. Are these supposed to be connected this way.

I looked in my manual and the only thing it says is the fluid is the same for the internal hydraulics, transmission and differential which is a combined 8 US gallons.

I know the rear internal hydraulics chamber and gear area of the transmission are connected by little holes, but I didn't know if the clutch pack area is supposed to be all connected. The clutch pack area has a pump on the front which sucks up oil from the sump and into the clutch packs...I think it also feeds the torque converter.

But, I don't know about this sump connection. There is a wall separating the two resevoirs, but I wonder if there were two grooves already, and someone just made them larger. Anyone know?

The manual doesn't specify if the clutch area is supposed to separate fluid, even though it is the same type of fluid.