Instrument cluster repair - Electronics tech

/ Instrument cluster repair - Electronics tech #32  
Tried removing fuse but is still doing same thing.shows pieces of the numbers but not enough to read.rocky ridge could you tell me how you got yours set to the right hours because if that's what's wrong I'd like to get the. New LCD ordered so I can get it fixed

/ Instrument cluster repair - Electronics tech #33  
I think he ended up hooking his new hour meter to a battery for a month or two until it hit the 700 hours.

/ Instrument cluster repair - Electronics tech
Exactly! As I already PM'd, I couldn't get a reliable connection swapping a new LCD panel on the old module, so we hooked a new module to a battery and let it clock up. My buddy who is a Helicopter tech told me they've attached drill motors to mechanical ones to run them up. It happens.

Hope that you get it!

/ Instrument cluster repair - Electronics tech #35  
It's probably connected with what is called zebra strip. It's made of alternating layers of
conductive and non conductive rubber strips that is squeezed between two lines of contacts one on the board and the
other on the back of the glass LCD so alignment between the two is critical. Usually there is some sort of mechanical
alignment aid in the design of the parts.

I did not know that strip had a name. I have had them fail in numerous devices. They need just enough
mechanically-applied pressure to get a good contact.

On one of my 4300s, I tried to get the zebra strip to contact better, without luck. At the time I was not
aware of any replacement of just the hour meter, so I installed a separate electro-mechanical one. I prob
should have run it independently 24/7 for a while to get it up to the correct #, as Mike did. (Nice work, Mike.)

Attachments

• hour_mtr_panel_7.jpg
    hour_mtr_panel_7.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 111
   / Instrument cluster repair - Electronics tech
IT was nice, for a while. Then it mysteriously reset to zero. It makes no sense why. I am adding a vibration typpe external one to act as a backup. Just in case.