Insulated floor

/ Insulated floor #1  

borisbierbelly

Tractor
Iseki TU185
Hi everyone,
I'm planning to build a shed with an insulated floor ( I intend to insulate the shed too of course). I'm wondering how to go about constructing the floor - 20 years sitting in an office didn't give me much practical experience!

It's going to be about 10' x 12' and cover the well - there's an existing manhole - i guess it's about 5' diameter. I want to put in a sand filter, toilet, hand basin and maybe a shower in the room - so the floor will need to have a drain and be waterproof. I want to end up with a slab sitting, say 4", higher than the ground and then build a wood frame shed on the top.

I guess first to do is dig out the dirt around the manhole? to 12"? then channels for the various drains, pipes and electric cables.But then what? Should I use sand to level everything? Do I put in a plastic sheet to keep the water out and then the insulation or, concrete first, then insulation and then more concrete? What sort of insulation? Will mice and rats burrow in and make a nice warm home in there if I don't have concrete under the insulation? I don't intend to keep it very warm in the winter, enough to not freeze - is it better to just put in a small electric fan heater or is electric heating in the floor easy (& cheap?) to install - perhaps just in part of the floor.

Any input will be appreciated as it's all new to me!

Hugh

/ Insulated floor #2  
Welcome to the forum.

Lots of questions.

Why put the shed over the well?
Will create problems.

How deep is your frost line?
What size is your lot?
Does your lot slope?
How much?
Do you have any regulations to follow?

Yes, do put the sand down first, then insulation.

Do more research and reading here.

This will take many hours to design and post instructions.

Goodluck