International 244 steering problems

/ International 244 steering problems #1  

allenayres83

Tractor
International 244
I have an International 244 that I can hardly use because the steering has so much play in it. I have to turn it very far one way before it "catches" but once it does it seems to turn fine. All the tie rod ends and such seem tight. The complete steering box is very expensive. Does anyone have any insight on how to check the internal parts of the steering box or what could be going on?

/ International 244 steering problems #2  
There should be an adjustment screw to take up for excess clearance, usually its a slotted screw locked down with a large nut, is this manual or power steering?

/ International 244 steering problems
it is manual steering

that would be great if all i had to do was tighten up an adjustment screw

/ International 244 steering problems #5  
I have a 234, pretty close to yours and there’s a large nut on the right side with a slotted screw in the center, I’ve never adjusted mine but it might be a good place start, what do you have to lose!

/ International 244 steering problems #6  
I tried it on a old chevy pu years ago lasted a little bit then I bought a new steering box ...

/ International 244 steering problems #7  
Here's an exploded view of your steering box. If the pitman arm isn't moving, when you turn the wheel, one of the fist places I'd look is to check parts 25 & 26, to see if they are partially sheared. That could attribute to a lot of slop, turning left to right. If not there, either bearings, or the cover assembly, #14 could be worn, allowing the sector shaft, which could be worn too, to work up & down, causing some slop too.

The parts description says the cover assembly isn't available anymore, but, to check for lingering stock. If that is the case, it would probably be just as cost effective to have a machine shop clean up the bore, and press in a bushing. If the shaft end is worn bad also, a machine shop could more than likely build it back up with plasma weld,and turn back to specs, or match a bushing. if one is pressed in.

Here's a list of 5, 244's in salvage yards you could probably get another steering box from, but more than likely, they will have the same problem. TractorHouse.com | INTERNATIONAL 244 Dismantled Machines - 5 Listings - Page 1.

It looks as though not all of the bearings, and seal are not available, but if you can get them out, if needing replaced, take to a good bearing supply, and they should be able to fix you up. Bearings & seals should have a part number on them, if not, they should be able to measure, and get what you need, if, they aren't mangled getting them out.

Official Case IH Online Parts Store and Case IH Catalog for Best Parts Search and Best Parts Look Up. Case IH Parts for Case IH Tractors, Case IH Combines, Case IH Tractors, Case IH Manuals, Case IH Parts

I tried to adjust the adjustment screw with no luck. I couldnt turn it at all. Also in reference to the last post, The pitman arm is moving and the steering wheel has resistance in it throughout the full range of turning. The pitman arm just does not engage until i turn the steering wheel about 3/4 of the way in whatever direction im trying to steer. I am going to try to tear the steering box down and check out the parts you suggested.