International 584 Starter Issues

/ International 584 Starter Issues #1  

LeahB92

Tractor
Several
Hi,

I work as a mechanic on an insanely busy farm and I've been having repeated issues with our International 584 tractor not starting despite the battery being fully charged. We have an admittedly dumb way of getting it started involving pliers and the bolts on the starter but this is just a temporary fix. I'm fairly new to mechanics and electrical is not my strong point. Is the issue the starter itself or some other underlying cause?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

/ International 584 Starter Issues #2  
Insufficient data. There is no description of the actual symptom nor your temporary solution. My guess - some underlying cause since you can get the starter to work.

/ International 584 Starter Issues #3  
If you are just shorting out the two studs on the solenoid with the pliers to get it started, then the issue is probably with the solenoid. Either the solenoid is not getting enough voltage/current to engage (ie click) or if it is engaging, then the high current switch inside the solenoid is not providing continuity. If this is the case, either a new solenoid, or if you feel up to it, disassemble the solenoid. The switch inside it is usually just a copper washer that gets slammed across the solenoid stud terminals by the electromagnet in the solenoid. Usually dressing the terminals and reversing or turning over the copper washer will restore switch function.
Or I could be totally out in left field, so take this advise as seriously as if you had paid nothing for it.

/ International 584 Starter Issues #4  
Could very well be the clutch safety switch