Is a fully discharged battery now junk?

/ Is a fully discharged battery now junk? #61  
Most all of todays battery chargers do not start charging until it sees some voltage in the batt. I have had to do this multiple times so here is what is needed. Take a second battery that has some voltage in it and hook both terminals to your dead battery. + to + and - to -. Then attach your charger to the dead battery (turn on) while leaving both batteries tied together. Leave everything attached for about an hour or two then unhook the second battery while leaving the charger attached to the what was the dead battery. You will find the dead battery has started taking a charge so leave attached until fully charged.
If I have a dead battery which a "smart" charger won't charge, I connect a 9 volt transistor radio battery, using small wire jumpers, to the charger terminals, while connected to the battery and turned on. The charger will sense the 9 volts and start charging, then remove the little battery and it continues to charge.

/ Is a fully discharged battery now junk? #62  
One of the many dumbest things I have ever done, I had a fully dead battery, don't recall why it was dead, but I hooked it up to an old style charger, must have been in dim light. Anyway, I hooked it up backwards, pos. to neg. neg. to pos. Well, over night it took a charge, but it now had opposite polarity. I think it was still under warranty from Walmart and I ended up exchanging it.

/ Is a fully discharged battery now junk? #63  
Do you discharge one intentionally and then recharge? Or just because it happened? If you intentionally discharge how would a person do that?

/ Is a fully discharged battery now junk? #64  
One of the many dumbest things I have ever done, I had a fully dead battery, don't recall why it was dead, but I hooked it up to an old style charger, must have been in dim light. Anyway, I hooked it up backwards, pos. to neg. neg. to pos. Well, over night it took a charge, but it now had opposite polarity. I think it was still under warranty from Walmart and I ended up exchanging it.
I use to get this a lot when more cars were positive ground.

I took one of those and used it for years with no problem.

Made me wonder just how important it is to the battery?

/ Is a fully discharged battery now junk? #65  
To reiterate, to run a battery down to zero is hard on them. A charger with a desulfation mode will help it last longer after that.

/ Is a fully discharged battery now junk? #67  
My understanding is it actually can be good for them to be discharged then charged fully back up. Try it and see.
I am against this as well for led acide batteries if my battery are not being used i have them in a heated (above freezing point) environment and I periodically charged them to 100%, and if i notice a battery is dead i put her on charge as soon as I can.

/ Is a fully discharged battery now junk? #68  
A few posts back, #62 1Mech we did that deliberately in class, discharged a lead acid battery to zero then back up fully reverse polarity.
Like most things, you can discuss batteries forever. My neighbor came over and flipped out because I had one sitting on the concrete floor..."don't you know that will discharge it"?
Personally I've had so many mixed results with batteries...recently my 97 yo Mom's car had slow cranking. Dad (rip) had replaced it over 10 years ago, cheapest Walmart battery. So we installed a brand new Interstate, cleaned terminals, fired right up...14.2v @ idle. It was great...for two days.
So far the second Interstate is holding up (fingers crossed).

/ Is a fully discharged battery now junk? #69  
It must be an old wive's tale that fully discharged ruins a battery.
Admittedly I havent read the 7 pages, but i know a lot about lead acid batteries at this point..

It's not so much the deep discharge that 'kills' the battery, it's the length of time and depth of discharge together that equate to sulfation buildup on the plates which may partially crystallize and then not be able to be converted back or knocked off the plates during the next charge cycle. If you think about any videos or perhaps real life experience of crystalline structures growing, they often start 'soft' and 'fuzzy' before eventually hardening.

Lead acid batteries don't like to spend any considerable time at anything less than fully charged because sulfation builds on the plates which, if given enough time to harden, permanently removes that covered plate surface and that sulfur from the 'pool' of resources the battery has to make power.

Regardless of charging it back up quickly, it's still true that the deeper the discharge, the more 'life' of the battery you have used up. Most lead acid batteries are rated by their manufacturers (if you can find this info) at only a few hundred 'deep cycles', and at that a deep cycle probably ends at no lower than 10.5v! When you drain a battery down into the single digits you are taking a decent chunk out of its lifespan. But most starter batteries don't do 'deep cycles', they do 'microcycles' and can do thousands of those, so knocking off even a few hundred with a single 'event' doesn't mean you couldn't potentially still get most of the life of a newish battery if you treated it properly the rest of its life.

And to answer a later comment about aggressive charging, you're probably referring to 'equalization' charging. This is an attempt to bring the multiple individual cells of the battery back into 'balance' by allowing the higher-charge cells to 'overcharge' while the lower-charge cells 'catch up'. It is also minorly abusive to the higher-charge cells but it is better for the lower-charge cells to not be sitting there sulfating when the rest of the battery is full, so its 'worth it' generally. If you're not measuring the specific gravity of the water in each of the cells of the battery, you would not be aware of the need to equalize and might attribute a battery failure to 'old age' when in fact a single cell had been out of balance with the rest for so long that it accumulated severe sulfation that could have been avoided if an equalization charge had been done earlier on to 'fix' the imbalance issue. It may reoccur eventually, but even multiple EQs is less harmful to lifespan than letting a single cell sit in sulfating conditions 100% of the time because it isn't fully charged when the charging stops.

/ Is a fully discharged battery now junk? #70  
My grandfather had a very old 2 volt charger in the shop used back when batteries had exposed lead connecting lugs from cell to cell and 6 volts standard.

He could coax a bad cell because the lugs would allow single cell charging.

The rebuilder in the neighborhood would flip and drain batteries and flush out the cells... then strain the acid through a stocking and put it back and charge... some batteries declared dead would come back and he sold them for $6 with a 30 day warranty.