Buying Advice Is an SCUT overkill?

/ Is an SCUT overkill? #51  
Sounds like you still need to drive a lot more tractors. You should do this before deciding, as all of them are nice and will impress you until you have some seat time to compare to.

One thought on Mahindra, I'd go for a MAX25 before I would a BX. But, that's my preference.

I think the X7xx's with the locking diff. have a beefier rear end than those without. For your needs, the locking diff would be essential (and maybe not even adequate by itself).
I am sure the MAX25 is a great machine and value. Please do look at the size of the machines and the spaces you want to get to. I am of course a big fan of BX as I own one but I do know now that if I would have gone bigger regardless of brand, I wouldn't be able to drive around my garage and squeeze into some tight spaces. It was just happenstance that the BX fits and I lucked out. If I would have bought a tractor couple inches longer, I would have been pretty frustrated that I didn't do my homework. Just something else to think about.

/ Is an SCUT overkill? #52  
I just bought a mahindra max 25 i looked at kubota because i loved my old b7100 that i put power steering on years ago. I was not impressed with the bx series i felt they where alot less of a tractor than my old b7100. I looked at utube vids of them in action ( mainly backhoe work) at that point i was disapointed with bx series as i watched the front end of the tractor come off the ground when it attacked a small stump. Also the high rpms the machine has to run. Could see end of life soon.

To be honest i did not drive one tractor to test. i drove it after she was delivered when i started to work it

I also looked at rippoff reports to see what they said about tractors lastly i revisted here looked at red blue green and 2 shades of red
Green i felt is way overpriced underpowered did not like deck attacment also backhoe was "light"
Blue well it started with the dealership rite down to product everything felt wrong
The other red (massey gc series) again cheap product quality wias overpriced for what it could do
Orange well here is where i was torn. Pulling from my memories of the b7100 and what she did again was disapointed at there little tractors.
Now everyone is thinking go bigger to a cut. Well i wanted to stay same frame size as the b7100 it fit me well actualy was thinking th find a bigger hp engine for my b would be fine.
After all was said and done i looked at specs prices weights options attachments how they installed (thanks for youtube) i went with max25 bought tractor loader 60 inch mower backhoe boxblade and tiller.
For the next 84 months i owe under 300.00
Pricing wise i am at least 4500 less than all the others spec'ing tractor out with bota b2920 and it equals was almost 9000 cheaper
So i ask op what is it u realy are looking for u see i wanted the same frame more hp to do more but gained alot more
Just an fyi my tractor delivered 3 weeks ago first day she had 8 hours on it now just under 20. Only negative i have to realy say is there is no tool box so an easy fix 4.00 plastic box at lowes piece of scrap steel drill 4 holes 2 for toolbox mount 2 for bolts that monunt the rops

/ Is an SCUT overkill? #53  
Yes, a Max25 is a bigger tractor than the BXs, and that's the point: more tractor for similar money. Of course, it could be too big for some circumstances as others have pointed out.

I mow and plow snow with a JD425, and am in the process of replacing it with an X739. It is the perfect machine for mowing and plowing in tight spaces. I did not prep my 425 for snow this year expecting the X739 any day, and got caught by a couple of snow storms. I had to use my much bigger Kioti with 68" snow blower. Great of course in open areas, but was terrible in the tight corners and such. My little 425 is much faster and does a more complete job because it fits everywhere and is extremely maneuverable with all wheel steer. So, you can go too big.

/ Is an SCUT overkill?
The Mahindra Max he had was definitely a nice tractor. I have no real complaints about it other than it is probably a bit "more" than I need (but price is a good consideration). I'm a little worried about garage space, but the bigger concern was the extra weight on the turf--but I guess it is only an extra 300 lbs (?).

I'm ruling out the Deere X758--it's just too expensive for what you get (at least from the dealer that had it). The X700 he had was a better "value" though. The question here is if the lack of 4WD is an issue. On the positive side, I did discover a problem with the settings for the irrigation system, so the amount of watering should be substantially scaled back now. Hopefully that will help the ground recover and dry out a bit. The ditches though will probably always stay somewhat wet.

On the Kubota front, I got a quote back from a 3rd dealer and it was probably the best so far. He had a BX2370 on the lot and ready to go with mower deck already attached. It doesn't have the front end loader, but it does have the loader valve--which would give me the option of leaving that purchase for later if I decide I can't live without it. I'm probably going to drive out there to see it in person.

For reference, I haven't found any Kioti dealers nearby. I really like the Massey Ferguson GC2400/GC1705 on paper, but none of the dealers around have one I can look at. The Kubota BX1870/BX2370 seems to be the easiest to get (even if an hour away). There are also a couple of Deere 1025Rs an hour south. Right now, I'm probably starting to lean towards the BX1870 with loader, or the BX2370 with just the loader valve. Those are the two best quotes I've received so far.

/ Is an SCUT overkill? #55  
I think it is cheaper to buy the loader and tractor together rather than separately. My advice is to go for the BX2370 with a loader. Ask the dealer for a price for it with the loader and mmm. You can get any other attachments later but those two should be bought with the tractor for the best value. I would think that the Kubota dealer can get you what you want even if he doesn't have it on the lot.

As to the front ditches, I would try to taper the top of the ditches back with the fel to relieve the angle for mowing. I wouldn't think that would require a permit. It would still drain the same.

/ Is an SCUT overkill? #56  
I can only comment on my situation. I looked at green, but thought it was pretty expensive. I did like the 1025r and some of the features like the auto connect deck. But in the end thought that I would probably only remove my deck for winter use so the extra cost didn't add up in my mind. I wanted to see the mulching deck but didn't get a chance. Plus when I wanted to demo the tractor the dealer said why… its a deer what more do I have to say and didn't let me demo it. For me, buying a new tractor is not pocket change, so they were done. I looked at the MF brand and really liked the dealer, but what got me there is that I wanted a mowing deck that had a mulch kit and when I demoed the tractor it didn't cut so well. There were not kioti or mahindra dealers near me.

So that left me with Kubota. For some reason, and I'm not 100% sure why, but I didn't want a Kubota. My wife said at least lets give them a shot. Fair enough. I went to the dealer and was helped by the owner. No pressure sales, He brought a tractor configured with what I wanted (2670 54mmm with mulch kit, FEL) to my house to try out. Just left it there and said let me know what I thought. Out of the ones I tried the Kubota had the best cut. Out of the ones I looked at Kubota had the best price. And out of dealers I tried Kubota was the best. So even though I didn't want a Kubota at the time it made sense for me.

As a side note 3 days later I upon delivery of my tractor I notice a bit of oil under the front left side tire. The dealer (which is 45 min away) came and picked it up right away. Apparently there was a washer missing from the factory. I also notice that where they put the FEL on there was a bit of paint missing. They sent a repair person out 2 days later and painted the frame where the FEL is attached.

After looking I think that there are a lot of good tractors out there. However, I am not sure there are a lot of good dealers out there. Sooner or later your going to need service.

My advice, which has already been given…….. GET A DEMO AT YOUR PLACE. You'll find out a lot about the tractor and probably even more about the dealer.

Good luck

/ Is an SCUT overkill? #57  
I can only comment on my situation. I looked at green, but thought it was pretty expensive. I did like the 1025r and some of the features like the auto connect deck. But in the end thought that I would probably only remove my deck for winter use so the extra cost didn't add up in my mind. I wanted to see the mulching deck but didn't get a chance. Plus when I wanted to demo the tractor the dealer said why… its a deer what more do I have to say and didn't let me demo it. For me, buying a new tractor is not pocket change, so they were done. I looked at the MF brand and really liked the dealer, but what got me there is that I wanted a mowing deck that had a mulch kit and when I demoed the tractor it didn't cut so well. There were not kioti or mahindra dealers near me.

So that left me with Kubota. For some reason, and I'm not 100% sure why, but I didn't want a Kubota. My wife said at least lets give them a shot. Fair enough. I went to the dealer and was helped by the owner. No pressure sales, He brought a tractor configured with what I wanted (2670 54mmm with mulch kit, FEL) to my house to try out. Just left it there and said let me know what I thought. Out of the ones I tried the Kubota had the best cut. Out of the ones I looked at Kubota had the best price. And out of dealers I tried Kubota was the best. So even though I didn't want a Kubota at the time it made sense for me.

As a side note 3 days later I upon delivery of my tractor I notice a bit of oil under the front left side tire. The dealer (which is 45 min away) came and picked it up right away. Apparently there was a washer missing from the factory. I also notice that where they put the FEL on there was a bit of paint missing. They sent a repair person out 2 days later and painted the frame where the FEL is attached.

After looking I think that there are a lot of good tractors out there. However, I am not sure there are a lot of good dealers out there. Sooner or later your going to need service.

My advice, which has already been given…….. GET A DEMO AT YOUR PLACE. You'll find out a lot about the tractor and probably even more about the dealer.

Good luck

Well said. The dealer makes all the difference with both initial prep and support after the sale. But, not all dealers are comfortable with on-site demos and I'm not sure I'd hold that against them if they refused to let you try at your own property. They should let you work the tractor though, at least at their facility if not at your home.