Is it possible to increase hydraulic flow?

/ Is it possible to increase hydraulic flow? #1  

Greenfield Dave

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L4400DT, w/FEL; 2021 Sidekick
I have an L4400. I have a Shaver 3pt Post Driver. I used it on my OLD Deutz D3006, and it worked much faster and better, because of a higher hydraulic flow. I don't need more pressure, just flow in GPH. I understand that more heat will be produced, and am willing to add a cooler..

Can I get a bigger pump in GPH and bolt it where the current one is? It seems Kubota is just beginning to realize they are behind in this department. Deeres and New Hollands have MUCH more flow per HP. I know I can get a PTO pump and reservoir, but that is quite costly and complicated.

Any ideas??

Thanks!
Dave

/ Is it possible to increase hydraulic flow? #2  
I've thought of that my self, I was thinking about different size pully
It would change speed but I don't know anything about hydraulics, this may do better in hydraulics forum?
:)

/ Is it possible to increase hydraulic flow? #3  
I've wondered about it. The industrial tractors, L35, 39 and 48 have much more flow. Is the hyd pump interchangable? Would be nice.

MrJimi - The kubota pumps are driven off of an internal gear. Not an external pully. I don't know if there is room to mod the gear ratio or not, but an interesting way of going about it.

jb

/ Is it possible to increase hydraulic flow? #4  
john_bud said:
I've wondered about it. The industrial tractors, L35, 39 and 48 have much more flow. Is the hyd pump interchangable? Would be nice.

MrJimi - The kubota pumps are driven off of an internal gear. Not an external pully. I don't know if there is room to mod the gear ratio or not, but an interesting way of going about it.

jb
What if he would do the same thing with gears if there removable, if the engine has the HP tu turn it, I think it would be fine but it sounds like lots of work to drive some fence post
we all know there is a way
Jim

/ Is it possible to increase hydraulic flow? #5  
I'd find it hard to believe that the 3006 would have had more then the nearly eight gallon that the 4400 has. I'd have it flow rated to see if it is set right. We do find them off from time to time and we've started flow rating all of our farm tractors before delivery, makes me wonder about the compacts.

The only time the hydraulics do amount to anything is with raising the ram so it shouldn't be that hard to deal with it and you could raise the pressure if it was found low.

/ Is it possible to increase hydraulic flow? #6  
I don't know much about hydraulics but if the 90 degree angles are eliminated the flow will increase and the same with larger hoses and quick disconnects come with a thread that will match hose but inside diameter of fitting is much smaller, just a few thing to consider, being as frugal that I am, I would live with the lesser flow rate
best of luck

/ Is it possible to increase hydraulic flow? #7  
Post drivers require only extremely small flow. The volume per full raise cycle is about 0.25G - MAX. Im thinking that you have a restriction in your dump line that you didnt have on your other intallations. Youre not running the return thru a QC fitting are you? A good fall requires a truly open line back to the sump.
larry

/ Is it possible to increase hydraulic flow?
SPYDERLK said:
Post drivers require only extremely small flow. The volume per full raise cycle is about 0.25G - MAX. Im thinking that you have a restriction in your dump line that you didnt have on your other intallations. Youre not running the return thru a QC fitting are you? A good fall requires a truly open line back to the sump.
larry
Thanks guys, the problem is it doesn't raise fast enough for me. Nor does it fall as fast as it used to on the Deutz. The return line is much larger that the supply line, and it does go through the QC's on the rear of the tractor. And that goes through the actuator lever. Which is wired open to provide flow. Same as on the Deutz. (it had a 9.7 GPM pump according to the book..) Maybe it's the route the return line runs. I think I need to find a wide open return line to send the fluid back. It's not just for the driver, there are so many hydraulically driven Bobcat attachments that I would love to use, but they require more GPH...