Buying Advice Is Kukje/TYM only mechanical diesel available today?

/ Is Kukje/TYM only mechanical diesel available today? #1  

stoyan79

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3700SU, TYM 4820CH
In the market for a cab tractor in the 40+ hp range that can lift over 2,000 pounds with the loader.

I am partial to Kubota as my L3700SU has proven un-desctructible, however new Kubota cab tractors are stupid expensive - $45k+.

Was looking at TYM because of their Yanmar offerings, and then somebody told me that Kukje is actually better choice than Yanmar, because its only mechanical diesel sold today and it is very easy to defeat the emissions crap.

Is this true, or there are other, old school, simple (no electronics) diesels out there???

/ Is Kukje/TYM only mechanical diesel available today? #2  
I think TYM now owns Kukje machinery. So I would expect some, if not all, TYM tractors would have the Kukje engine technology.

/ Is Kukje/TYM only mechanical diesel available today? #3  
Last I looked some TYMs used Kukje and some used another engine.

On my Branson the only electronics are a data recorder that monitors the DPF. It will run fine with the data recorder unplugged. They use a low temp continual regen and there's no way to do a normal regen. It's worked fine for me but a few people in cold areas who don't run their tractor hard in winter have had the DPF clog. Newer models have a way to do a manual regen. They added a simple valve in the exhaust to heat up the DPF for regens.

I don't know about the TYM Kukje but the newer Branson ones have the data recorder more integrated than my 5 year old model. People who have removed or gutted the DPF end up with some dash lights always on.

So far the regen-capable Kukjes have been reliable. I'd leave the DPF on and intact until it's a problem. It might never be. You will have already paid for it and with it intact you can enjoy breathing cleaner air.

/ Is Kukje/TYM only mechanical diesel available today? #4  
There are TYM owners here who apparently like the 48hp Kukje engine for its mechanical injection and for having a relatively separate DPF on it. That engine seems to be on the T474 and T494 models if not others, and they are available with a cab.

I do not know if other brands still offer mechanical injection and a simple DPF system. The only way I would know how to figure this out would be to look at specific models in the HP range you want and then look to see how the injection and DPF systems are made on them.

/ Is Kukje/TYM only mechanical diesel available today? #5  
I think TYM now owns Kukje machinery. So I would expect some, if not all, TYM tractors would have the Kukje engine technology.
I have a 2007 Branson 6530 and had a 2016 2400 which I traded on something different. On the side of the cowling of the 6530 is a Cummins sticker eluding to the fact that it has a Cummins licensed engine that just happened to be built by Komatsu in Japan per the ID plate on the side of the engine......I don't know where the 2400 engine was built (I didn't check the ID plate) that also had a Cummins Licensed engine, rumored to be built by Branson in one of their factories. Both were mechanical injection engines and trouble free.

Scuttle butt has it that TYM wanted the Branson Cummins licensed designed engine for their tractors and was the reason for the Branson acquisition. I have no idea other than that and whether or not that is true or false.

My neighbor has a 46ish HP cab equipped TYM (happy with the purchase) with early Tier 5 emissions, don't know the year model and it has what appears to be a mechanical Yanmar engine. We were working on it awhile back (he chose to be careless with his fuel selection and wound up with water in his diesel) and I don't remember seeing any electronics and the injectors were mechanical. The tractor that replaced my 2400 is an LS, has a Yanmar engine (per nameplate) and has an electronic control module on the firewall. Its 25 hp.

So, that's what I know about the subject....or assume knowing......don't know if this helps or hinders.

Last edited: