Is the difference worth $2500

/ Is the difference worth $2500 #1  

floyd3509

Tractor
pt-425
I have owned 2 pt 425 and as bad as I hate to say both have been terrible. The first blower it's motor at 165hrs and the second just recently burnt up before I could get fire out that was caused from float sticking and filled crankcase up with gas. I tried to crank it and gas/oil shot out of carburetor and it back fired causing it to ignite. I love the machine and have several attachments but I have had terrible luck with the Robin engine. But with that all being said I am going back to Tazewell for another but debating if the few differences between 422 and 425 is really worth it. I do landscaping and work mainly off of a trailer moving mulch and gravel/rock. The above written is why I had other post about attachments working on other brands. I sure would appreciate some insight on whether get a 422 or 425 for the purpose I use it for. Of course I am wanting to spend the 2500 elsewhere , like on attachments.... Thanks....

/ Is the difference worth $2500 #2  
I sure would appreciate some insight on whether get a 422 or 425 for the purpose I use it for. Of course I am wanting to spend the 2500 elsewhere , like on attachments.... Thanks....

I have a PT422. I would buy a PT425 if I had to do it all over again
- Power. Field mowing with the 22 HP just is too slow
- Steering. At least three people here have had the single steering cylinder rip out of the tub. PT425 has dual cylinders.
- Lift height. The extra 8" would have been nice on many occasions.

While I haven't ever had any complaints, the 425 also has higher torque wheel motors.

All of that (to me) is worth more than $2500.

Of course, with your bad luck with Robin, you are probably tempted to yank the Robin, chuck it and drop in a Kohler. You might take a shot at convincing Terry to sell you the PT425 without the engine, since you have has such awful luck. The "sympathy card" should be worth something.

/ Is the difference worth $2500 #3  
The lower wheel motor torque is very significant. I have felt it many times on my 422. I would gladly pay the difference. I have gone to a thicker oil in the transmission (15w50 synthetic versus the original 5w30 dino) and that has been a big help, but I would still pay the difference.

/ Is the difference worth $2500 #4  
To elaborate, there are times when there is more traction on the 422 than you can use. For pushing dirt or snow or climbing hills this can be frustrating. You just can't move even though the wheels don't slip.

/ Is the difference worth $2500 #5  
Back in 2001 when I bought mine, I divided the cost of the tractor by the horsepower for the 418, 422 and 425. Back then, they were pretty much even, so in my feeble little mind, I could justify that I was paying the exact same dollar per HP if I bought the one with the largest motor and got dual steering cylinders and a free canopy/ROPS out of the deal! :laughing:

Today, its not that close in price, but still close, and you still get a ROPS and dual steering cylinders and now, higher lift capacity than what was available in 2001.

/ Is the difference worth $2500 #6  
Doesn't the 425 also come standard with the ROPS/FOPS, while it is optional (and additional cost) on the 422? That used to be the case, I think...

/ Is the difference worth $2500 #7  
Doesn't the 425 also come standard with the ROPS/FOPS, while it is optional (and additional cost) on the 422? That used to be the case, I think...

True. And the ROPS is a $600 option for the PT422, so that drops the price difference down to $1900...