is there a standard width ?

/ is there a standard width ? #11  
Here are the rules as I have them in my trailer towing book. May not all be correct but you can contact each state to check

Virginia:

Maximum Speed Limit: 55
Maximum Dimensions for trailer:N/A'L x 8'6"W x 13'6"H
Maximum Length with Trailer:60'
Minimum Weight requiring Separate Trailer Brakes:3000
Trailer Equipment Requirements:
Safety Chains:Y
Brakelights:Y
Taillights:Y
Clearance Lights:Y (If over 7' high and 7' wide)
License Light:Y
Turn Signals:Y
Reflectors:Y
Flares:Y
Breakaway Brakes: Y
Tiedowns:Y
Two Trailers:N
Insurance:Y
Wide Trailer Permit Phone Number: 804-786-2787

Tennessee:

Maximum Speed Limit: 65
Maximum Dimensions for trailer:48' L x 8'6"W x 13'6"H
Maximum Length with Trailer:65'
Clearance Lights:Y
License Light:N/A
Tiedowns:N/A
Two Trailers:Y
Wide Trailer Permit Phone Number: 615-741-3821

Chris

/ is there a standard width ?
Mr Burke at the trailer store specified regulation in part due to the (mountain roads) in our area ? I will try the Va HP office and the local DMV.

/ is there a standard width ?
In Virginia you can do 102 without any issues.

Maximum Legal Limitations
Height 13'6"
Width 8'6"
Length 40' - Motorized Vehicle other than Buses or Motor Homes
48' - Trailer (53' trailers allowed on interstate system)
65' - Vehicle/Trailer Combination
Overhang 4' - Rear 3' - Front
Weight 20,000 - Single Axles
34,000 - Tandem Axle

https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/apps/cts/legal_weight_limits.aspx

Absolutely Correct ! :thumbsup:

http://law.justia.com/virginia/codes/2006/toc4602000/46.2-1105.html

/ is there a standard width ? #14  
Here are the rules as I have them in my trailer towing book. May not all be correct but you can contact each state to check

Virginia:

Maximum Speed Limit: 55
Maximum Dimensions for trailer:N/A'L x 8'6"W x 13'6"H
Maximum Length with Trailer:60'
Clearance Lights:Y (If over 7' high and 7' wide)
License Light:Y
Tiedowns:Y
Two Trailers:N
Wide Trailer Permit Phone Number: 804-786-2787

Tennessee:

Maximum Speed Limit: 65
Maximum Dimensions for trailer:48' L x 8'6"W x 13'6"H
Maximum Length with Trailer:65'
Clearance Lights:Y
License Light:N/A
Tiedowns:N/A
Two Trailers:Y
Wide Trailer Permit Phone Number: 615-741-3821

Chris
Speed limit for VA is wrong. 65 MPH on the Interstates for sure. 55 MPH thru the tunnels on I-77. When they're not stop and go.:(

Old Fed standard was 8'/96". When my truck was built in 2001 it was built to the new Fed Std of 8'6"/102" as measured at the outside of the tires. Many states restricted vehicles that met the new Std on state/county roads with 10' or less lanes. WV being one of those that finally changed their laws in about 2003. Utility/landscape trailers come in 6', 6.5', and 7' beds. The 7' ones push the tires out right to the 8' mark. Our 6' one follows the inside tires of a dually. Width over fenders is 92". There are still many Federal Highways where duallys hang tires off the side of the road and over the centerline at the same time. US-52 in VA as an example.

/ is there a standard width ? #15  
Speed limit for VA is wrong. 65 MPH on the Interstates for sure. 55 MPH thru the tunnels on I-77. When they're not stop and go.:(

Old Fed standard was 8'/96". When my truck was built in 2001 it was built to the new Fed Std of 8'6"/102" as measured at the outside of the tires. Many states restricted vehicles that met the new Std on state/county roads with 10' or less lanes. WV being one of those that finally changed their laws in about 2003. Utility/landscape trailers come in 6', 6.5', and 7' beds. The 7' ones push the tires out right to the 8' mark. Our 6' one follows the inside tires of a dually. Width over fenders is 92". There are still many Federal Highways where duallys hang tires off the side of the road and over the centerline at the same time. US-52 in VA as an example.

The reasons you mention is why I have not driven a dually since 1990's when I had a 454 GMC as a work issued truck. 7 out of 10 dually's you see around here have the fenders all beat to heck. They also are very tough to drive compared to a SRW truck in the snow we get. It seems they can never figure out which rear wheel to let follow the front wheels.

My view would be totally different if I was traveling mainly primary roads pulling loads larger than I am now and did not have to drive in 12" plus snow storms in the winter.

/ is there a standard width ? #16  
The reasons you mention is why I have not driven a dually since 1990's when I had a 454 GMC as a work issued truck. 7 out of 10 dually's you see around here have the fenders all beat to heck. They also are very tough to drive compared to a SRW truck in the snow we get. It seems they can never figure out which rear wheel to let follow the front wheels.

My view would be totally different if I was traveling mainly primary roads pulling loads larger than I am now and did not have to drive in 12" plus snow storms in the winter.
Just going in one from the old Fed Std to the new one was a pain for me. Punched a hole in the fender when it had 700 miles on it. After years of driving crew cab utility bed duallys. $1200 per fender installed makes you think sometimes. 2 right fenders in 103K miles, once my fault and once when someone backed into it. Like you can't see this big truck in your mirrors? :confused2: Next new truck will be smaller and 4X4 for the winters up here. But the big fat truck is nice in 50-75 mph winds.

/ is there a standard width ? #17  

That's the way my 97' Dodge was with the front tires tracking in the center of the duals. Don't know about all makes but I think I read that the cab/chassis models come like my Dodge did and that trucks with factory beds have wider rear tracks so that the front tire lines up with the inner rear?