Is wider better on slopes?

/ Is wider better on slopes? #11  
Roy, I was an Avation ECM tech, I worked on the countermeasure black boxes the planes carried.

/ Is wider better on slopes? #12  
Roy, the next time I have the deck on, I'll measure it. I have it adjusted so there is very little movement. I prefer to have it so the movement is minimal so it doesn't slam from side to side when I make turns. I had the dealer get a pair of the telescoping stabilizers (like the larger tractors have) for me to replace the turnbuckle type that came with the tractor. That was money well spent. I should be mowing right now, but I'm waiting for Wifey to finish dessert so we can go pick up a used rotary cutter. Pretty hard to keep ahead of the grass this year so far. Looks like someone forgot to tell the lawns around here there's a drought on. I have a Brother-in-law who recently bought a farm in your area, not too far from East Berlin....................chim

/ Is wider better on slopes? #13  
...I'll measure it. I have it adjusted so there is very little movement. I prefer to have it so the movement is minimal so it doesn't slam from side to side when I make turns. I had the dealer get a pair of the telescoping stabilizers (like the larger tractors have) for me to replace the turnbuckle type that came with the tractor.

I'd appreciate that, Chim... I'm going to ask my dealer about the telescoping stabilizers too. Never even thought about them....Thanks!

I should be mowing right now, but I'm waiting for Wifey to finish dessert so we can go pick up a used rotary cutter

So, where are ya picking this up...private owner?

The best price I got on a 48" rotary cutter was for a Howse. This was from Walt's Tractors just north of Harrisburg. I believe the price was $475 ot $485. This was for a new unit...
Guy I used to work with has a JD 48" (I've used this one). Nice cutter....he never uses it! I'm trying to talk him into selling it to me...but he's a packrat....doesn't want to let it go. Well, I'm a packrat too...so I know how it is.

/ Is wider better on slopes? #14  
Roy, the mower was from a private owner just on the North side of Lebanon. It is a blue 60" KK, and is in good shape. He had it advertised in Lancaster Farming for $450, but settled for $400 even. The hitch pins look pretty high, just like some of the posters mentioned. Hopefully there will be time to fiddle with it next week. Plans are for a marathon mow tomorrow evening, so I'll get the measurements for you then. Glad the work lights were one of the first projects.

My dealer (Keller Brothers in Lancaster) quoted $120 for all the parts and pieces to make up the telescoping bars, and said he would give me some credit for the unused turnbuckle bars. So far he didn't tell me what the net would be.............chim

/ Is wider better on slopes? #15  
Boondox:

Wider would be better for stability but would also put more strain on the axle and bearings. If the setting is there the system should be designed to handle it.
Have a look at the snow cats they use for grooming the slopes at Stowe. Very wide tracks set very far apart.
If it helps keep the greasy side down why worry about looks. As for the mud don't grin and keep your mouth shut and all will be okay. Nothin more aggrivating than getting little rocks bouncing of your teeth. [ experience from mountain bike's, muddy trails and breathin real hard ]

Egon

/ Is wider better on slopes?
Egon -- I was thinking the same thing...if the Kubota manual says it's okay to have them set that wide, the tractor must be able to handle it. Thanks

Pete

/ Is wider better on slopes? #17  
Roy, the mowing is finally done. The lateral movement at the shaft of the rear casters is about 1". Works fine for me that way................chim

/ Is wider better on slopes? #18  
Boondox,
I ran a Kubota B6200 for 7 yrs. with wheels out to the furthest
limit. I had liquid filled tires, frame weights, and alternated
between a belly mower, and a brush hog. Also carried a
large spraying unit on rear that weighed 500 lbs. when full.
I never had a bearing or axle problem. Used the same set up
for 5 yrs. on a Kubota B7100. No problems there either. I
averaged 30 hrs. a week during mowing season. Then 20 or
so hrs. a week in off season using sprayer, snow blade etc.
Rick

/ Is wider better on slopes? #19  
Roy, the mowing is finally done. The lateral movement at the shaft of the rear casters is about 1". Works fine for me that way

Thank you, chim!

/ Is wider better on slopes?
Thanks, Rick. (Also thanks for the tiltmeter mounted above my dash!) I think the wide setting looks funky, will undoubtedly cover me with mud, and means my rear blade will no longer cover my tire tracks...but it sounds a heck of a lot safer given the slope of my land. Guess I'll be going wider. Thanks again.

Pete