ISEKI G-174 Problem (Brakes)

/ ISEKI G-174 Problem (Brakes) #1  

ampa

Gold Member
I'm wondering if I could get the brake linnings bonded at any shop that reline clutches/brakes., I've sandblasted and wire brushed the old paper thin shoe housings as the linnings just fell out .,since I had removed the rear tire/wheel I discovered that the linkage was all seized up the drum is all pittted., also wondering if I could get this small drum turned or just maybe just clean it up.,it's only a compact tractor.,so it doesn't require to in top condition like an automobile., as I'm not driving it at high speeds.,the other side seems to be the only side working., but when I apply the brakes it makes squeeky sounds which I believe are not too good on that side as well., new bonded linnings would provide me much better stopping power than this tractor has in the past., if I can't find a place to reline these shoes is there an alterntive to the original linning material., like there wouldn't be any heat problems....any suggestions are welcome., I also blew the rear tire as it was weather checked/cracked and rotten from calciam/water that was in it., now I'm stuck with getting some kind of tires to replace these turf tires the rims are really quite wide., so I was thinking of maybe 15" good used set of truck type snow tires or whatever would fit these extra wide rims., right now I can't afford the proper tires quoted to me @ $375 cdn plus tax..... tractor dealers don't sell tires so I was told..... thanks in advance..........AMPA

Last edited:
   / ISEKI G-174 Problem (Brakes) #3  
Howdy ampa , Bummer on the rear tire . I was told by a few here that the truck tires are the cheap way out & will work . Just make sure the Overall tire heighth is the same as the old ones .

I,m wanting to do the same on the wifes tractor very soon , because the rice tires tear up to much ground & also severally weather cracked . Youll probablly get around to it before I do though :D .

As far as the Brakes I cant help You there , The wifes tractor has no brakes :eek: . So thats on My honeydo list as well trying to figure out whats wrong or if I can adjust them . Best of luck, Bob

/ ISEKI G-174 Problem (Brakes)
Thanks "Bob" on the truck tire issue, we have a used tire shop close by in the city here that sell real good used tires of all kinds most of them have at least 1/2 % or more remaining tire tread, I know tires for cars and mini vans are installed and balanced, including the used tire for around $30 cdn maybe a few more $ as I have'nt been there for a few years,I've still got their tires on my van that I have now and I took em off the old van that I sold to the wreckers, I'm thinking maybe a used ATV tire as they are wide and have like tractor tread, as for the brakes, like I mentioned just for stopping at very low speeds no real heat problems, I've got a lot of new thick real leather, I've seen this used for brakes on some type machinery, so it's worth a try, I'll use contact cement, when I did remove the side plate the suppose to be bonded shoes were just laying loose inside the brake drum, to me seems like JB weld was used to bond them on, and the dampness/wet weather got in and they just fell off, I've sandblasted the housing (yes "Bob" finally got to use the new cabinet and the small CH compressor seems to work okay... the CH compressor even had enough pressure to blow the sandblast gun hose off a couple of times....my own fault though..... I only used a screwdriver on the cheap gear clamp that came with the cabinet ), I figured contact cement is used on kitchen sink counter tops, why not use to bond heavy leather onto brake shoe housing, I don't know if this will work but it's worth a try, I have enough 1/8 thick leather pieces to last me a very long time, as for the gasket I'll use the make a gasket goo, if this works I may be able to get a patent on it, maybe make me some extra bucks... I'll be sure to include you Bob, as my partner, nice to dream "eh" lol, I'm serious on the partner thing though, once again thank you, see if you can think of some hard type bendable substance that would be more suitable to use for brake material on a greymarket compact tractor............take care.......AMPA

Last edited:
   / ISEKI G-174 Problem (Brakes)
Well I wasn't too sure the leather I used for my brake shoes would work,but all seems to be okay,the other side were new, like new shoes,brake drum and plate, seems the new drum had a smooth glaze and also the shoes..I mounted the drum on my drillpress used emerypaper and removed the glaze and also sanded the shoes and readjusteded them and no more squeeks,....take care.....Ampa

/ ISEKI G-174 Problem (Brakes) #6  
Glad You got it goin Ampa . I got the ones on the little tractor adjusted . They are inside the Rear differtial . No brake drums or anything like that. I,ll definatlly need a manual if I ever have to work on them . Doesn,t look simple . But They,ll work for now . Bob