Izuzu, Izuzu, Bless you, friend!

/ Izuzu, Izuzu, Bless you, friend! #1  

jaquetarr

Silver Member
Tractor
PoiwerTrac 2445
Does anyone have any experience with Izuzu 3 & 5 ton trucks?? I've recently seen an article about them used for RV campers.
I got to looking for used ones and find them pretty rare. Also found several types of bed available for them.

I talked with a guy using one for deliveries. He commented on the reliability and very tight turning radius. He had the Diesel and said he was happy with the fuel economy.

Not the usual Ford - Chevy - Ram discussion & they are ugly as a cur dog, but if they run well & are cheap to operate they may be a good value.
Rgds,
tim

I did do a search before posting but did not get a hit on a previous thread "My Next Truck" Sorry for duplication
tim

Last edited:
   / Izuzu, Izuzu, Bless you, friend! #2  
No experience in the last 8 to 10 years, but I've driven a few Isuzu products in the past. My first Isuzu diesel was just the little 1981 I-Mark sedan which we bought new because of the great service a friend got from the little compact pickup truck. We put over 80k miles on it before giving it to a daughter, and she traded it in on a new car when it was over 150k. My dad then had a new 1984 Chevy Luv diesel pickup that stayed in the family for many years.

But in the late '90s, one of my brothers became a Matco Tool Distributor so he put a lot of hours (and quite a few miles) on the kind of truck you're talking about. Later, the other brother also started driving one as a Matco Tool Distributor, also. They were both good trouble free trucks, although the second one had a more powerful engine and we liked it better. Both were 4 cylinder diesels.

It seems that not many individuals want a cabover, or low cab forward, for a personal truck, but for commercial trucks, they're pretty popular.

/ Izuzu, Izuzu, Bless you, friend! #3  
Does anyone have any experience with Izuzu 3 & 5 ton trucks?? I've recently seen an article about them used for RV campers.
I got to looking for used ones and find them pretty rare. Also found several types of bed available for them.

I found a chevy w4 same as the npr. I can haul 3 ton with no issue's that is the max load of my truck, I have hauled more. I had to do a lot of searching and pavement pounding before I found one. Mine has the dump flat bed, glad I found it :D :)

I talked with a guy using one for deliveries. He commented on the reliability and very tight turning radius. He had the Diesel and said he was happy with the fuel economy.

:thumbsup: Agree 100% The turning radius is one of the biggest reasons I wanted mine. I also have the 4cylinder diesel, get over 21MPG empty{12+MPG full load running hills etc.} try that with a 1 ton ______. Mine may not be pushing 500 ponies but it gets the job done and seems to enjoy doing it. I can't complain.

Not the usual Ford - Chevy - Ram discussion & they are ugly as a cur dog, but if they run well & are cheap to operate they may be a good value.
Rgds,
tim

I did do a search before posting but did not get a hit on a previous thread "My Next Truck" Sorry for duplication
tim

I'm not sure if they're ugly,.,.,.? maybe just not the norm? The only thing I had to do to mine is change the hydraulic pump for the dump{under $350.00}. It was original and just plain wore out. I did haul 20+ load of gravel{3TON each} before it gave out. I bought the truck a year ago used, it's a 99, and figured the pump was original equipment. My truck has over 95000miles on it and runs like a top. When I took it to be inspected I had them go through it with a fine tooth comb, the only issue it had was a broke tail light.

If you've never driven a cabover it does take some getting use to, but IMO a cabover is worth it's weight in gold when it comes to tight spots{Drove a tractor trailer for a moving company}.

If/when this truck passing on to truck heaven I'd be more then happy to buy another. Great work horse and so far VERY reliable :thumbsup: :D :thumbsup:

/ Izuzu, Izuzu, Bless you, friend! #4  
A Mercedes (or Dodge) Sprinter has a way better ride and more critter comfort, but the NPR is just bullet proof. I think the NPR outlasts the Sprinter, as long as rust doesnt take its toll on the NPR cab. Chassis and driveline are bomb proof and designed with Asian loads in mind (loaded to its max GVW with cargo, and then loaded with passengers in, onto and on top of it)

/ Izuzu, Izuzu, Bless you, friend! #5  
I drove a Hino for a furniture company for a summer. Loaded with miles and abuse. With over 100K it was still very reliable. Not a ton of power, but for a box van, had enough. Gearing limited it to a top speed of 55, and I tested that many times. 55 mph was the absolute fastest it would go.

/ Izuzu, Izuzu, Bless you, friend!
Thanks for all comments.
Seems like this is a solid, reliable truck that does what is asked. The comments Re "Asian loads' is right on. I've seen how they load up trucks.
Rgds,
tim