J.D. 6410 WONT STAY RUNNING

/ J.D. 6410 WONT STAY RUNNING
I opened the side panel up tonight and found a couple of small fuel leaks on what i will call a braided fuel line. Started the unit fine and let it run for awhile and noticed fuel kind of seeping from the line, i plan on stopping and purchasing a replacement line when i get a chance. I'm wondering if it could have been sucking air? Watching UK walk away with a National Championship right now. GO CATS!

/ J.D. 6410 WONT STAY RUNNING #12  
I opened the side panel up tonight and found a couple of small fuel leaks on what i will call a braided fuel line. Started the unit fine and let it run for awhile and noticed fuel kind of seeping from the line, i plan on stopping and purchasing a replacement line when i get a chance. I'm wondering if it could have been sucking air? Watching UK walk away with a National Championship right now. GO CATS!

That will absolutely cause your problem. Do yourself a favor and replace all rubber(braided) fuel lines while you are at it.

/ J.D. 6410 WONT STAY RUNNING #13  
I have a 2000 model John Deere 6410 that will start but will nat stay running, it may take up to 4 or 5 time of starting for it to keep running. any thoughts

My neighbor has a 6420 and he's replaced several lift pumps because of a simlar probem.

/ J.D. 6410 WONT STAY RUNNING
thanks, i do intend to replace all of the rubber lines.

/ J.D. 6410 WONT STAY RUNNING #15  
We have two 6220's (a 2002 and a 2005). I finally gave up and replaced all of the fuel lines on both of them. The Deere braided hoses are bad news, they seep and suck air and cause all kinds of issues.

/ J.D. 6410 WONT STAY RUNNING #16  
Ditto to what Jerry said

Sounds like yours could be a few things.

As all the others said,

1. Replace those cloth covered fuel lines with good quality rubber ones (I replaced both of our 6420 fuel systems from tank up and back with good NAPA stuff)

2. Our `03 6420 was making a popping / snapping sound when running. Turned out to be air in the fuel being pushed through the injectors.

Had to replace the lift pump that sits on the left side of the tractor, about mid way in the frame, directly below the dipstick. The pump was bad, I imagine the inner diaphragm had a hole in it, causing air infusion in the delivered fuel. The replacement kit from deere was pricey, but it fixed the problem immediately. In fact, the replacement Bosch pump that they furnished (along with all necessary hardware, brackets, fittings, etc.) was about twice the size of the factory original lift pump. It seems to do a better job, and is also much more quiet (not that this matters). It barely fits in the space where the old one was.

Might as well replace the in-line check valve as well. On 6420`s they are located just prior to the inlet side of the first fuel filter.

If you are going to replace all the lines, including those that go to and from the tank, there is a trap door in the floor of the cab which allows easy access to the top of the fuel tank. Just lift the rubber floor mat out and you are in good shape.

Good luck! Keep us posted

/ J.D. 6410 WONT STAY RUNNING #17  
To those who have done the hose replacement, what size(s) and how much (length) do I need to buy? Only a matter of time before I have problems with the 6415.

/ J.D. 6410 WONT STAY RUNNING #18  
Zebra, I honestly cant remember.

I took off a small piece of the hose (the piece that runs from the first filter to the check valve) and took it to my local NAPA. I explained the situation and had them order me the appropriate replacement through their store. It was solid rubber hose, not the cloth braid covered stuff deere issued. In terms of how much, I forget. I will see if I have it written down somewhere, or if I get a chance, I`ll consult my 6420 Technical Manual....it may be listed in there.

I do remember just tracing the lines with a string and then adding up the numbers to get a length (I didnt have the technical manual when I did it the first time). The hardest ones to replace were the ones that run the length of the engine compartment from the fuel cooler up front and back to the tank. Its not an overly difficult job, just time consuming. If your 6415 is a cab tractor, there should be a small trap door in the cab floor (underneath the rubber floor mat) that will allow you to access the top of the fuel basket in the tank.

Not to insult you, just a friendly 2 cents...remember to try and keep the swap as clean as possible....injector jobs on these things arent cheap (nor is the injection pump! )

Good luck! IF you are lucky, you may not need to replace them....I`ve heard of a few machines that somehow escaped the bad line problem. Very rare though.

/ J.D. 6410 WONT STAY RUNNING #19  
To those who have done the hose replacement, what size(s) and how much (length) do I need to buy? Only a matter of time before I have problems with the 6415.

Lengths are listed at JDparts.com in PC #4367. The lengths I copied & pasted are just a few examples. This part #(L65382) is the bulk hose listed. If one utilizes the computer a piece of string isn't required.

Part Number: L65382
Part Price: 83.19 USD
On Hand: 1 Check Other Stores
Description: HOSE LAN837 - B7,5 X 2,5-DK - 10000
Specification
Weight 2.01 LBS 0.91 Kg
Inside Diameter 0.295 IN
Length 393.701 IN
Material RUBBER

1 ...... Hose 1 X X LGTH= 800MM (31-1/2"), (MF L65382)
2 ...... Hose 1 - 443675 X X LGTH= 2400MM (94-31/64"), (MF L65382)
...... Hose 1 443676 - X X LGTH= 1800MM (70-55/64"), (MF L65382)
3 ...... Hose 3 443676 - X X LGTH= 200MM (7-7/8"), (MF L65382)

/ J.D. 6410 WONT STAY RUNNING #20  
Thanks for the lengths. I have an open station tractor floor comes off in 3 pieces I think. Since the fuel tank fills on the left, I'd start by removing the left one first then the center.

No trouble with mine so far!