JD 1070 3 point hitch trouble

/ JD 1070 3 point hitch trouble #1  

kencoinc

Tractor
John Deere 1070
I bought a JD 1070 at auction a couple of weeks, seems like a decent tractor. Starts and runs great, but I am having 3 point hitch problems. After I bought the tractor I ran into the mechanic that worked at the golf course that went bust and had to be auctioned. He said my tractor had a FEL but they removed it and sold it. He said that the 3PH worked fine before, but not since, he said it would lift, but very slowly. I took the tractor home and he was right, the 3PH will lift all the way, but you can take a coffee break while it does. My first thought was hydraulic oil/filter issues. I drained the fluid, cleaned the screen in the bottom of the transmission housing and changed the filter. Filled with new, clean fluid and same result. I removed the relief valve under the seat to visually inspect, it looks fine and it was not seized or blocked with debris. There are no leaks or any visible damage to any of the hydraulic system. The front pump for power steering is working fine, so there should be adequate fluid flow to the front. The back pump, for hydraulics to the rear of the tractor, including 3PH, made a little chatter a couple of times. $500 later and I have ruled out the hydraulic pump. Is it a needle in the haystack approach, or should I start pulling poppets and valves to look for wear, damage, and contamination? All advice is appreciated. Thanks, Ken.

/ JD 1070 3 point hitch trouble #2  
Hydraulics:
Type: open center
Capacity: 5.5 gal [20.8 L]
Pressure: 2250 psi [155.1 bar]
Total flow: 9 gpm [34.1 lpm]

When the hyd don't work on anything, you look for pump flow, leaks, pressure, etc.

Install or make a hyd test gauge set up and use it to troubleshoot and monitor the hyd system.

Either tee the hyd gauge in the IN port of the first valve, or plug in the gauge with QD.

Attachments

• 3000 pressuregauge 001.JPG
    3000 pressuregauge 001.JPG
    787.2 KB · Views: 600
  • 3000 psi hyd test gage set.jpg
    3000 psi hyd test gage set.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 174
  • 3000 psi hyd test gage set1.jpg
    3000 psi hyd test gage set1.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 192
  • 3000 psi guage.jpg
    3000 psi guage.jpg
    518.9 KB · Views: 699
   / JD 1070 3 point hitch trouble #3  
Know very little about hydraulics, however while looking at my own project, i learned that Kubota and Mahindra have a selector on the Hydraulic valve block that needs to be switched if the FEL is removed permanently.

JD may not have that, however the simple things are sometimes the hardest to find

/ JD 1070 3 point hitch trouble #4  
Check the valve below the center of the seat facing the front. That controls flow to the 3pt hitch as a way to lock it down and slow the rise and drop. For example I have a cement mixer on my 1070 that you need this for, else you can get some serious spillage.

Also, there is a second lever along side the 3 pt control to regulate the position control. That can cause such a slowdown, too.

/ JD 1070 3 point hitch trouble #5  
Check the valve below the center of the seat facing the front. That controls flow to the 3pt hitch as a way to lock it down and slow the rise and drop.

To my knowledge valve below seat is a rate of drop screw but has nothing to do with speed of raising 3 pt.

/ JD 1070 3 point hitch trouble #6  
kencoinc
If 3 pt operated fine before FEL was removed then I think hyd supply to 3 pt isn't attached correctly after FEL was removed.

/ JD 1070 3 point hitch trouble #7  
Jim isn't there a pipe plug for PB when loader was on, in the back under one of plugs.

/ JD 1070 3 point hitch trouble #8  
I have a 1070 with FEL and use it alot with and without the FEL. I bought it new and it now has 1700 hours. When the FEL was sold, did they remove the square tubes on the side of the casting just in front of the floor plates and the 4 hydraulic outlets and stick lever control and sell that stuff with the FEL? Might be a problem there in what was done regarding the hydraulic supplies to the FEL. Check to make sure the hose in the rear is plugged into the female port so that the open center flows ok (assuming you have a rear hydraulic supply). Failure to do that can make a real mess. The black knob below the seat controls rockarm drop and should be run open and closed at variouis amounts and observed for effect. Chatter to pump sounds like somehting may be worn out, broken, or cavitating - possibly an oil supply problem or blockage.