JD 155C, CC SuperLT 1500, or other options?

/ JD 155C, CC SuperLT 1500, or other options? #1  

the_sandman_454

Silver Member
Tractor
None yet
Trying to decide what to do... I am in the process of buying a new home with 20 acres. Roughly 4-5 acres are going to need to be mowed, with the rest being reasonably heavily wooded. I suppose I only need about an acre or so finish mowed, with the rest probably being allowed to grow a month or two between cuttings.

While I'm saving up for a CUT size machine, I figure for the spring I'll need to aquire something to use in the mean time. What is a decent relatively inexpensive riding mower/lawn tractor/garden tractor? Keep in mind I may have to end up subjecting whatever I get to a year or two of relatively taller grass (1' or so) on the parts I don't feel like cutting every time, although stumps, garbage, etc shouldn't be a factor.

So far I've not looked at any of the dealerships, just a few home improvement stores. Sat on a JD 155C, and a CC LT1550. Both are rated at 25 HP, have hydro transmission, and there's only a 2" difference in mower deck width with the JD having 48", and the CC with a 50". Does the Kohler hold up better than the Briggs?

I guess for now I'm sort of weighing my options, and testing the waters. Not to mention some of the home improvement stores here are marking down 10-15% from regular prices.

/ JD 155C, CC SuperLT 1500, or other options? #2  
Either of those tractors would be adequate for your initial needs, and they are both just about evenly matched as far as specs and components and prices. In that price I don't think the Kohler Courage in the Cub is any better of an engine than the Briggs Intek in the JD. They are both fairly decent entry level LT engines that should give a good 10 years or more of service for an acre of mowing work. 1.5 hours for one acre, 30 mows a season= 450 hours in 10 years, they are 750 hour rated engines so they should hold up fine with regular maintenance.

Where the JD might have an advantage is that it is my understanding the JD's sold at the box stores are set up by a local JD dealership, yet the Cubs are set up by the store staff. A dealer setup might yield a more trouble free tractor from the get go, and as those local JD dealers are paid to do the setups, they might be more willing to give better service to a box store purchased machine than a local Cub dealer would. This of course does not apply in all cases, it is a MIGHT.

There are some rumors that the JD 100's are built by MTD who builds the Cubs, but that is not true. The two lineups do however share a lot of components from the same suppliers. Don't be shy to look at Sears too-the AYP built LT's are right on par with either of the above two mentioned lawn tractors in the same price ranges. Check out Simplicity/Massey LT's made by AGCO at dealers too. There is a lot of competition in the low cost LT category.

-Fordlords-

/ JD 155C, CC SuperLT 1500, or other options? #3  
I pretty much agree with what is said above. My only additional suggestion is sit on the various models and see what "fits" you physically, has enough leg room, belly room if needed, easy to reach controls, easiest to lift mower deck (incase the wife or one of your kids has to use it), best seat for back support, easiest to get on and off of. These things a different from person to person, and worth checking out. A tall left hander will have different requirements than a shorter right hander as an example. And I know if the box stores are discounting, it's real tempting to buy there, but consider that last year, Lowes (example only) sold Cub Cadet and this year does not... so no spare parts there. But if Lowes caused the local dealer to sell the store and leave, then there are no spare parts or service there either, so if you can, support your local dealer, he/she has made the long term investment in providing service and parts, and is a LOT less likely to drop lines or switch brands like the dollar motivated box stores have done in the past and will do in the future.