JD 2032R Whats The Good Bad and Ugly

/ JD 2032R Whats The Good Bad and Ugly #1  

drizler

Platinum Member
My son in law is looking for a general use around the property tractor a bit smaller than my Massey 1736. He wants enough weight but not quite the bulk of mine but still be able to plow some snow run a 5' hog and do general work around the property. He is also interested in a back hoe as he has seen how much I use the one on my Massey. I see that they sell that with a QD subframe similar to mine but haven't actually looked at one in person. He is also considering eventually using a front mount snow blower down the road.
I see the bucket on the one at the dealer is a tad thin , we have lots of rock here . Ive heard they sell a heavier duty bucket for that machine other than the one in the showroom. Opinions, issues weight restrictions ect????? So lets hear it
We are going to have a good look and test run one likely tomorrow. We know about the ignition key location issues and peoples knees hitting breaking them off ect. Can you get those sliding draw bar extensions for those? The ones that let you hook up better if you are misaligned. Ive got them on mine and wouldn't be without them. Also I read someplace this machine has no turbo. Is that a big deal besides somethig more expensive to break/. Its not like he is going to be plowing fields with this thing just more in the line with small farm duties. We would also be interested in the general pricing of this right as well as any of the implements I mentioned if someone doesn't mind sharing it. Thanks

/ JD 2032R Whats The Good Bad and Ugly #2  
I own a JD 2025r, a smaller version of what you will be looking at. I also frequent a JD forum so I have read a lot about them.

No turbo, a 2038r is an identical tractor but has a turbo.

The only bad I have read about is the independent lift for the MMM. Mine mower lifts with the three point. The 2032 and 2038 both have a separate lift system that an actuator will fail on, which I think they have improved some over time. If your not looking at a MMM, not an issue.

Compared to mine they have a much stronger loader and 3 point. JD people seem very happy with them, pretty solid tractor. Made in the US with Yanmar engines.

/ JD 2032R Whats The Good Bad and Ugly #3  
When I was researching tractors for purchase in 2017, I found alot of negative comments specifically regarding the 2032R model. Most ownership comments were commonly related to problems with the hydrostatic transmission and frame integrity. The 2032R Yanmar diesel is super reliable, and has a very strong history of reliability and easy maintenance.

I eventually went to the next model size up, the JD 2038R which had zero issues, and made my final list for a tractor purchase. Much can happen in four years, so JD may have resolved the negative issues of the 2032R.

/ JD 2032R Whats The Good Bad and Ugly #4  
Around 2018 JD made the 2 series their own design and built in the US but using Yanmar engines. Until then they were basically built by Yanmar. I don‘t know about the past but currently the 2032r and the 2038r are identical except the engine. Any problems on earlier 2 series are moot unless you are buying used.

/ JD 2032R Whats The Good Bad and Ugly #5  
There are problems with the Gen2 2032r mower. I traded my 2018 in for a different tractor and that was a big reason why. As long as you don’t get the MMM, they are great tractors. The backhoe is okay but don’t think you’ll do major work with it - it’s just too small.

/ JD 2032R Whats The Good Bad and Ugly #6  
I read the OP again, and realized I did not answer many of the questions. For me, the lack of a turbo is a not an issue. That 2032R Yanmar diesel provides more than adequate horsepower for the size of the tractor, and any jobs you may work on, even without a turbo. Most turbos on tractors are low pressure turbos, designed for long term reliability and typically provide 5 to 8 HP gains.

I am sure you can get adjustable lower links for your 3-pt hitch from JD or after market. It certainly does allow for flexibility when hooking up attachments. Surprisingly, I do not know anybody who actually owns the 2032R model. I am aware of three owners of the 2038R. And eight owners, including contractors using the proven 1025R/2025R. All appear happy with their tractors.

JD also markets the 2032E tractor, which I would not recommend or consider for purchase.

Last edited:
   / JD 2032R Whats The Good Bad and Ugly #7  
I’m going to guess you meant 3032e? I don’t think they make a 2032e unless it’s a very new thing.