JD 2440 PTO Stops Turning

/ JD 2440 PTO Stops Turning
Erik, I haven't figured anything out specific although I suspect that it was related to the hydraulic fluid. Since my original post, I have changed the fluid (changed the filter, clean the screen, etc.) a couple times and with each change, it has gotten better in that the PTO does not stop under a load anymore like it was doing. In other words, it is working like it is supposed to. I have always used the JD Trans fluid so I will continue to do so and will change regularly. The stuff is expensive but still cheaper than tearing into it or taking to someone else to fix. Maybe I lucked out (didn't have to dig into any further) and that is all it needed . Fingers crossed.

/ JD 2440 PTO Stops Turning #12  
Glad it is working for you. I had to crack the tractor to fix mine and while in there replaced some worn and or broken shift rails and forks. Wasn't cheap but should be good for a long time now at the rate I use it. Only 6600 hours on it and only 25 since the in-frame rebuild.

If you have any more issues it might be worth getting the pressures tested to see if you may be developing a leak in the line to the PTO. They can measure this without cracking the tractor.