JD 260 no crank condition

/ JD 260 no crank condition #1  

mcfarmall

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M5660, Farmall C, JD 260 lawn tractor
Here's the scenario: Sitting on the seat (operator presence switch jumpered out years ago), gear transmission in neutral, clutch pedal fully depressed, PTO switch in the OFF position, turn the key to start position and engine will not crank. With key in RUN position, I can flip the PTO toggle switch and hear the clutch engage. Turning the ignition switch to the run position, I can hear a relay click in the space below the battery.

Today I sat on the tractor as outlined above and turned the key from run to start repeatedly about 15 times and the starter began to turn but I tried it again and nothing.

I disconnected the purple with white stripe wire from the starter solenoid, stood along side the tractor, turned the key to RUN, touched a jumper wire from the solenoid terminal to the positive battery terminal and the engine cranked and started as it should.

So should I be looking at a relay issue or the ignition switch? Anybody have a source for a factory repair manual or wiring diagram/explanation??

/ JD 260 no crank condition #3  
I'd say most common to fail on these are the PTO and neutral safety switches for a no crank. Maybe repeatedly wiggle the gear selector and try and the the same with the PTO switch. Terminals at the rear of the ignition switch and breaker / fuse which ever your has are always suspect and should be cleaned.

/ JD 260 no crank condition
Thanks for the link Richard001. I'll check the keyswitch at the next opportunity and see where it takes me.

/ JD 260 no crank condition #5  
Here's the scenario: Sitting on the seat (operator presence switch jumpered out years ago), gear transmission in neutral, clutch pedal fully depressed, PTO switch in the OFF position, turn the key to start position and engine will not crank. With key in RUN position, I can flip the PTO toggle switch and hear the clutch engage. Turning the ignition switch to the run position, I can hear a relay click in the space below the battery.

Today I sat on the tractor as outlined above and turned the key from run to start repeatedly about 15 times and the starter began to turn but I tried it again and nothing.

I disconnected the purple with white stripe wire from the starter solenoid, stood along side the tractor, turned the key to RUN, touched a jumper wire from the solenoid terminal to the positive battery terminal and the engine cranked and started as it should.

So should I be looking at a relay issue or the ignition switch? Anybody have a source for a factory repair manual or wiring diagram/explanation??

Did the starter turn rapidly both times (key switch and jumper wire attempts)?

The manual Richard linked shows no relay in the starter circuit. You may be hearing the carburettor solenoid click when you turn the ignition switch 'on'.??

There is a Troubleshooting on/about P.25 of the manual.

Engage the Park Brake and check for voltage at the purple wire going to the starter motor when you select "Start" on the ignition switch.
If no voltage then check at the Ign Sw itself.

Check for power in/out of the Park Brake switch. You can manually bypass this with a jumper for diagnostic purposes. Or, Hold the key in the "Start" position and press the Brake Pedal down & up in case there is a dead spot in its action.

Reconnect your seat switch. It's there for your own safety.