JD 3520 - Drinks Water (overflow/fill jug is always low)

/ JD 3520 - Drinks Water (overflow/fill jug is always low) #1  

Thowle

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 4066R Cab w/ H180 and 4-in-1 Bucket
Filled it up a while back with distilled water. About 20 hours later (today) I look at it once the tractor gets high in temp, and it's below the fill cold line. Added more water. Any ideas what could be causing this so rapidly -- or is it just normal?

/ JD 3520 - Drinks Water (overflow/fill jug is always low) #2  
The JD's seem to be sensitive of overfilling the overflow bottle. Just leave it a little low, and see what happens. I like to use the PreMix JD coolguard to top mine off. How many hours do you have on your 3520? My machines have always took awhile to get all the air burped out.

/ JD 3520 - Drinks Water (overflow/fill jug is always low)
Will give it a try. Was getting hot earlier when mowing. Noticed it was way low, but also the whole grille was covered totally with dust and grass... so there was limited airflow. Guess that's just part of it being so small/low and mowing the high weeds.. need to keep a constant check on it.

/ JD 3520 - Drinks Water (overflow/fill jug is always low) #4  
Maybe you did boil some off with the high operating temps. These CUT's can be a real PITA when it comes to keeping the radiator clean while bush hogging.

/ JD 3520 - Drinks Water (overflow/fill jug is always low) #5  
I can only comment on my experiences with my only tractor - a 3720. It ALWAYS has the temp gauge at the EXACT same place once it's warmed up. If it moved AT ALL, I'd stop and inspect it. Heat is death to a diesel engine. Overheats can damage a head gasket and that'll cause the loss of coolant.

Perhaps you need to find a way to attach a leaf blower somewhere on your tractor and routinely pop the hood and blow out the screen.