JD 3x20 Series...Narrow Track????

/ JD 3x20 Series...Narrow Track???? #22  
X 4 :thumbsup:

/ JD 3x20 Series...Narrow Track???? #23  
Rob...I am looking at page 5 ("3000 Twenty Series) of the JD 3000 Series brochure. Bottom right is a back view with dimensions shown..."MN Width 40.6" (1030 mm)"...the "narrative brackets" appear to be near inside of tire. It also shows "Width 68.4" (1737 mm)"...which appears to be outside tread measurements.

My question comes from two points...1) standing behind a couple of 3x20 JDs at dealership they "appear" narrow when visually compared with similar CUTs as I have cited above...and 2) the comparable "minimum width" stats on other CUTs...as cited above...is larger. I will be using on a variety of terrain and believe the track width may help with stability...thus my question.

Maybe all the stats has confused my question? Is the 3x20 JD series a bit more narrow than it's primary competitors?

Sorry if I have created a confusing thread...normally this type of question gets nailed with solid thoughts/answers...my bad...Thanks...Tom R

Tom,
It's not really you. Here's the problem: Most of us know one brand fairly well but we don't know the specs on other brands or at least i don't! I can't give you a good comparison. What I think is that the specs you're reading take in the range of all the tires for the 3x20. R1's, 3's, both 4's and special turfs. Each has a specific profile (height to width). So you can't get a real sense of how they compare to another manufacturer. Even worse, there's always someone trying to find the ROPS height and it's so bad TBNers have to go out and measure their tractors with those specific tires to help the person out!

I'd say the 3x20 series is a little narrower (ratio wise) than some of the other series in the Deere line and is probably slightly more prone to tip overs. With that said other factors come into play. Center of gravity, implements, balance, etc. So there are many ways to stabilize a tractor and width is not the only criteria that should be checked between brands.

I've owned several different Deere models and I don't find the 3x20 unmanageable at all. It's a great tractor that does really hard work.
Is a Kubota less tipsy? I don't know.

Rob

/ JD 3x20 Series...Narrow Track???? #24  
Tom

I have that same piece of literature in front of me....and referred to it in the above text too. I am not too sure why they list those dimensions the way they do. It could be with using the minimum inside dimensions for row-crops or other purposes. But then they list the O.S. width without saying its the max (I think its the max anyway...with R1 tires and 8 position wheels). The literature is definitely confusing IMO.

Long and short of it.....The 3x20 is a good tractor for use "generally" with five to six foot implements on the back and with loader buckets from five to six feet wide. I think this is true of competitive model tractors. For this reason, the manufacturer has to keep the tire width to accommodate those implement widths...or.... your not going to be able to mow up close to fences and buildings or you may drive over crops etc, etc.

So....if brand x has a five inch wider (than 60") tire width, than the five foot mower width to go with said tractor.....then what favor has he provided you....if you want to use five foot implements? (Keep in mind five foot implements are cheaper, lighter, require less HP and are easier to maneuver...yadda, yadda....and some of us view this as a positive.)

Again.....most of the COMPACT tractors are set up to operate five to six foot implements (yes there are exceptions). So....after you figure out your implement preference.....then start looking at appropriate tractors to operate 'em. IMO

One thing about the 3x20 series tractors.....the 3320 is great with the five foot implements....and the 3720 may be better with the six foot implements...both due to the HP they offer. (and the 3520 is in between somewhere) The tractor may not be as stable with the heavier six foot implements as with the fivers?....or with a cab? (you be the judge)

I think many operators want stability. Many here load the tires to gain extra stability and to properly ballast the tractor for loader use. Some install wheel spacers to gain extra width and greater stability (again....generally, when they use the wider implements for the tractor size)

I think with these facts in mind.....tractor "width" will be viewed in the proper perspective. :thumbsup::D

/ JD 3x20 Series...Narrow Track????
Tom,
It's not really you. Here's the problem: Most of us know one brand fairly well but we don't know the specs on other brands or at least i don't! I can't give you a good comparison. What I think is that the specs you're reading take in the range of all the tires for the 3x20. R1's, 3's, both 4's and special turfs. Each has a specific profile (height to width). So you can't get a real sense of how they compare to another manufacturer. Even worse, there's always someone trying to find the ROPS height and it's so bad TBNers have to go out and measure their tractors with those specific tires to help the person out!

I'd say the 3x20 series is a little narrower (ratio wise) than some of the other series in the Deere line and is probably slightly more prone to tip overs. With that said other factors come into play. Center of gravity, implements, balance, etc. So there are many ways to stabilize a tractor and width is not the only criteria that should be checked between brands.

I've owned several different Deere models and I don't find the 3x20 unmanageable at all. It's a great tractor that does really hard work.
Is a Kubota less tipsy? I don't know.

Rob

Thanks Rob...I tend to over analyze. The local Kubota dealer has a L3700SU, L4400 and an L3940 in stock that I need to spend some time driving around...also a Bobcat CT235 as another model. The JD dealership locally is not well thought of but there is another dealer about 30 miles away that seems very well thought of and does have a couple of 3x20 series in stock...I need to spend some time on them also.

Time in the seat probably will help start to target me a bit.

I will say that the L3700SU seems to be a pretty nice value with price around $17K+ w/FEL. It is a bit basic machine but does have Hydro transmission.

Not sure what I can get atJD but need to spend some time with the JD dealer and product.

Sure am learning a lot "hanging around" here...read a whole bunch on safety issues today. I realize I would be a "trainee" for quite some time...and just like my motorcycle...you have to be MORE than careful even after you gain some experience/comfort. Thanks...Tom R

/ JD 3x20 Series...Narrow Track???? #26  
Could we get back to the tape measure thing? If you have all of the tractors you are interested in within a 30 mile range, you could have gone and measured them all by now. Put in the seat time at each dealer, or even ask them for a demo unit for a day; get out the checkbook and buy the one you like the best!

/ JD 3x20 Series...Narrow Track???? #27  
No it痴 not mine is comparable to other makes in same size