JD 4020.. price and hauling

/ JD 4020.. price and hauling #1  

mgraham112

Gold Member
Tractor
long 2460 - belarus 250 - JD 4230 - Kioti DK40SE
I'm looking at a JD 4020 that is a few hundred miles away. The asking price is 8900 and hours are unknown so I'm assuming the hour meter isn't functional. The paint is good and there are no leaks although the 3pt will leak down overnight. Assuming this thing doesn't puff clouds of blue smoke and everything functions as it should, y'all think this is a good deal. I feel that the price of these old workhorses and especially JD will likely not depreciate at all and in 10 years I would probably be able to sell it for what I paid for it assuming I can find one under 10k, at least that's my thought if I ever decided to sell it. Is anybody familiar with shipping something this big and a rough price for 250 miles? I could possibly borrow a gooseneck and diesel truck and go pick up but with the width being around 7.5' and ballasted weight being in the range of 13k, that's likely not an option. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated? Its a 4.5 hour drive and I'd hate to drive up there for a big waste of time just looking at it and if shipping is too high then it wont be worth it.

/ JD 4020.. price and hauling #2  
Those are good old tractors that will do a lot of work and were made to last. I have put a lot of hours in the seat of a 4020 (many years ago), and I have great admiration for them. I don't know what parts availability is like for them these days. It may be fine; I just don't know.

But I see them all the time for around $10,000 asking price, which means they could be bought for a little less than that. So $8,900 for unknown hours doesn't sound like a steal; at least it wouldn't be in my area. I think I'd wait for something a little closer to home.

/ JD 4020.. price and hauling #3  
We run a 4020 as the main hay making tractor. Great older tractor with the powershift. Unless you have a way of checking it out beforehand and a way to get it home, I would look closer to home before driving 9 hours for potentially nothing. Parts are readily available from JD for most items.

/ JD 4020.. price and hauling #4  
I spent a lot of years looking at tractors... and I don't think any drive or looksee was wasted... just a road trip... !!!! Might find something better/cheaper on the way there if you stay off the interstate... :)

/ JD 4020.. price and hauling #5  
If it is what you are looking for I would show up cash in hand with a rig to bring it home. Might be a wasted trip, might not. It would be hard for the forum to help you with this as we have less to go on than you.

/ JD 4020.. price and hauling #7  
Honestly tractors that old with mechanical meters any of them are hours unknown - always buy the tractor not the story. When a seller discloses that - it's a plus in my book.

Price, without looking at it you can't say if its fair or not. Lots of folks ask 10,000 or more around here for pretty ones BUT I see them stay for sale for months at a time. Less than $7,000 and running / complete they sell quick.

If the paint is old but the thing isn't rusted out - that is a good thing because you can spot leaks and wear better.
Tires - deduct plenty for bad tires, these are big and ain't cheap to replace.
Look for lots of slop in the steering and try and listen and shift through all gears and look for signs of a worn clutch or tranny / bad rear end etc. That stuff is more expensive and harder to fix than engine work, those engines were made to be overhauled.

Good luck, like said I wouldn't go see it unless you were prepared to take it with you.