JD 4110

/ JD 4110 #1  

Xv20190

Tractor
Deere 4110
I am looking at a John Deere 4110. I'd like to make sure that this is a capable enough tractor for me. I need to be able to care for my gravel drive and help me with firewood and other property tasks for my 7 acres. Does this fit with the current 4 series tractors?

/ JD 4110 #2  
G'day Mate and welcome to TBN from Downunder.

Is this the 4110 you're considering: TractorData.com John Deere 4110 tractor information

Honestly, before anyone on TBN can answer you we'd need some more information about your 7 acres (terrain, slope, gradient, etc..). We'd also need to know what tyres it has. (R1, R4, Turf?) Does it have a Front End Loader (FEL)?

It really comes down to what the heaviest task that the tractor will be used for. According to the linked specs, the 4110 is a 20hp tractor whereas my JD 4105 is a 41hp.

/ JD 4110 #3  
I had a JD4100 for 21 years and worked it hard doing gravel road maintenance, rototilling, rotary cutting, and lots of dirt work. It was dependable and I mostly did maintenance and a few routine repairs such as hydraulic loader cylinders and hoses. But it is a small light tractor with limited hp. I pulled a 4’ rotary cutter; it isn’t suitable for a 5’ cutter. It’s not suitable for a backhoe. If you can live with those limitations, it will be a good machine as far as dependability. Have the rear wheels set to the widest width (swap from side to side and mount with the valve stems facing inwards), and have them filled. In my opinion it’s suitable for chores on a <5 acres property. But it’s a simple and tough little machine.

/ JD 4110
G'day Mate and welcome to TBN from Downunder.

Is this the 4110 you're considering: TractorData.com John Deere 4110 tractor information

Honestly, before anyone on TBN can answer you we'd need some more information about your 7 acres (terrain, slope, gradient, etc..). We'd also need to know what tyres it has. (R1, R4, Turf?) Does it have a Front End Loader (FEL)?

It really comes down to what the heaviest task that the tractor will be used for. According to the linked specs, the 4110 is a 20hp tractor whereas my JD 4105 is a 41hp.
7 acres is flat with 4 acres of woods 3 acres of grass field. I have 1000 ft of drive I need to loosen and spread gravel. I also have some dirt I would like to loosen up and move as well as try to make drainage on my land a little better.

/ JD 4110 #5  
I’d say the modern equivalent is a 1025r or 1023e. Probably a capable machine but it is small.

/ JD 4110 #6  
A current equivalent of the 4110 would be a 2020E if made. I had a 4010, which is only 18.5 hp. It was a great tractor. Only trouble I had with it was the turf tires on the front. Also bent the bottom lift arm rod that holds the bottom lift arms because I didn't tighten the turnbuckles enough once. Broke both of them and bent the rod.

Also blew up the driveshaft Ujoint at 660 hours and 9 years. Ever since then, JD has put zerks on them and says to grease them every 50 hours, but you cannot get to them. You should seriously check the driveshaft Ujoints on the tractor before buying.

Still, the 4010 was a good tractor, and 18.5 hp is plenty for a 4 ft bush hog, wood chipper to 3 1/2 inches and plenty of (slow) FEL work. The 4110 I think had a 2nd pump for hydraulic oil that made its FEL work faster. My first job for the 4010 was to haul 22 tons of gravel along my tractor path.

/ JD 4110
I had a JD4100 for 21 years and worked it hard doing gravel road maintenance, rototilling, rotary cutting, and lots of dirt work. It was dependable and I mostly did maintenance and a few routine repairs such as hydraulic loader cylinders and hoses. But it is a small light tractor with limited hp. I pulled a 4’ rotary cutter; it isn’t suitable for a 5’ cutter. It’s not suitable for a backhoe. If you can live with those limitations, it will be a good machine as far as dependability. Have the rear wheels set to the widest width (swap from side to side and mount with the valve stems facing inwards), and have them filled. In my opinion it’s suitable for chores on a <5 acres property. But it’s a simple and tough little machine.
Does it have enough umpf to tear apart compacted soil with a 5 ft box blade?

/ JD 4110 #8  
I had a 54” box blade and it worked well with the ripper teeth down. But I couldn’t move a full box full of soil if it was wet. I had to move 1/2 box at a time. But I have clay soils.

/ JD 4110 #9  
May lack some weight. You're traction limited with a BB, not hp limited. My B2601 near same weight works with a 5 ft Woods BB at 518 #. Actually, the 4100 is about 140 # less weight than a B2601.