JD 420 "Death"

/ JD 420 "Death" #1  

jack49

Tractor
JD 420, Kubota 2900
First post. Great Site.

Need advice on my 420,,,info: about 20 years old, 600 hours, fluids/filters well maintained, no oil burning, synthetics, 60" deck, 54" snow blower, always a 'runner'. Use my utility Kubota for bigger jobs.
Mowed seven times this Summer. About 3 weeks ago started having starting having problems = long cranks, increasing puffs of black smoke, increased time to engage, noticed oil around the air filter (probally from crank case vent ?), THEN, very long cranks and used starter fluid to ignite. Ran slow with some lack of power ,at first, and then I mowed 4 acres/many obstacles.
Dealer says bring it in Monday,,,$35 for diagnostic. I think it needs new engine. Hope not.... but, does not look good.
Guys/gals: is it worth the bucks to have fixed?? Or, should I go with new/used-new set up (would have to buy snow blower,,don't need any other implements-- have my larger tractor for other 'stuff'). If replacement, what are your suggestions. Have not been in the market for a tractor for many years. Your advice and direction would be appreciated.
jack
stillwater, minnesota.
* 420,K2900,Honda fourtrax,36'ford deluxe,90'Miata,06'Porsche Carrera,02 Lincoln,08 Milan, "pile" of small engine tools.

/ JD 420 "Death" #2  
Black smoke usually means too rich a mixture. It could be something as simple as a bad float or float valve. If it doesn't burn oil and has decent compression (120 PSI or so), I doubt that it needs an expensive repair.

/ JD 420 "Death" #3  
I believe you have a gummed up carburetor. This new gasoline is very similar to what old timers used to call 'head gas' that would evaporate down to a goo that weighs the floats as it evaporates out of the fuel bowl so they sink too low and cause a rich condition. The best thing to do with any gasoline engine that will sit for more than three or so weeks is to run it out of gasoline and fill the tank with fuel treated with stabilizer.

As I remember and know about Onan, removing the carburetor to clean or service it is a chore. And you would be well advised to have a kit on hand before you attempt any repair. Best let a shop do that job - just hold all of the reins!

/ JD 420 "Death" #4  
I'd wait word from service department..fingers cross you caught problem in early stage.

/ JD 420 "Death"
420 Report from dealer emergency room; :(

* zero pressure in one cylinder,,,low in other,
* said would be about 2200 to repair,,,"but, probally not worth it",
* have a 425 refurb to sell me at 3000-3500,,,,but, issue with my snow blower=need different attachment (est.= $400), Said he'd try to find a used one,,
* did not seem too excited about a replacement engine .
* will need to decide,,,,,, soon.....

So, my 20 year old ,600 hours green machine is toast.

Thanks to the board for your inputs and advice,,,,,,

jack

/ JD 420 "Death"
What are your experience (s) in putting in new Honda replacement engine? Est of number of hours to remove old/install new???

Honda engine OK ??

thanks again,

jack

/ JD 420 "Death" #8  
If the machine's in good shape otherwise, I'd think this would be worth a look.
John Deere 420 Outdoor Power Equipment Repower from Small Engine Warehouse

If I can help in any way let me know, I live only 15 minutes from Small Engine Warehouse. I was just there yesterday and am there 2-3 times a week. The Honda may be a good option but I think its time to hang up the old JD and get a ZTR, a real commercial one, not one sold at TSC.

Let the Kubota you have do the rest.

Chris

/ JD 420 "Death"
Thank you,, Diamondpilot.......Appreciate the offer and advice. My Dealer is digging around for attachments to the 425 he wants to sell me. I forgot to ask about the hours,,,duh. Will ck it out tomorrow.
I noticed that the larger ZTR,,also have snow throwers.. Looks a bit weird,,,assume they work. However , with the smaller tires,,,not so sure. As you suggest, I may have to keep the Kubota out of winter storage (issue with it,,,I will need to buy a blade and/or blower).
Enjoy,
jack