JD 420 vs 425

/ JD 420 vs 425 #1  

Dann

I am considering buying an 11 year old JD420 with 900 hours. The asking price is $5000. It has been kept-up well and appears to run ok. the other option is of course buy a newer model like a 425 which is around $9000. Any opinions?
A second question: would the attachments for the 420 fit the 425? i have the option to buy attachments too.
thanks for your input in advance.
dann

/ JD 420 vs 425 #2  
Dann,

The 420 has a slightly larger engine than the 425 - the 425 is the entry model of the 400-series for 2000, while the 420 was the 400's older brother, and the 430's gas-powered twin. I think 22 horsepower, or around there. 48", 54" or 60" mid deck was available, also cat-0 3-point/PTO kit, hydraulic lift of the mid-mounted implements.

Chances are, they changed the mounts on the 425 and you'd have to modify the tractor or the attachment for it to fit.

Check over the 420 thoroughly if you decide to buy it, since even though they are workhorses, they can easily be abused and painted to look like new - 900 hours isn't an extreme amount of use but enough. Also make sure it was maintained; check the deck for repair welds and any other signs of the machine being overly abused.

Keep in mind that parts aren't cheap for these machines, but they are available within a couple days usually. The 420 with 900 hours will likely need repairs from time to time, so keep that in mind, both the cost and the down time.

The new 425 would run trouble free for exactly two years, and then you'll have to repair odds and ends as well. They are built that way. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

It would really be your choice, to spend the money or not. If you decide to go with the 420, make sure it is in good mechanical order as it sits, and check into its history.

Best of luck,

msig.gif

/ JD 420 vs 425 #3  
Dann here in east central Indiana & west central Ohio you can buy a 425 with a lot less hours for $5500 to $6200. JD Dealers in this area have a lot of them because of people moving up to the 445's & 455's. I have had a 425 AWS with 60" mower & front blade since 1994 and it has been great. The main thing I liked about the 425 over the 420 at the time of purchase was the foot operated hyrdo on the 425 compared to the hand operated on the 420. This is very important when using the front blade. Check out the link below. Chris
http://www.jdequipment.com/lawntractors.htm

/ JD 420 vs 425 #4  
Price is way high. Would expect to pay $3000 to $4000 max (if I was sure it was maintained and single owner). With 900 hours in 11 years I would rate its use as med. plus. Would certainly buy the 425 new at $9k, after shopping around (the BX has to be putting some price pressure on the 400's). If you are going to spend $9k look at the BX--far more for the money, and attachments are much more functional.

Muhammad was too kind in his JD parts pricing comment: They are obnoxiuosly high (ditto Honda). Also, JD is not the company they used to be imo--will spare you the 5 page diatribe. They are $$ focused and parts are a profit center. From personal experience with their corporate, wouldn't buy anything green again. It's a shame, have a '67 JD110 that will never die. Don't see any of their product with that kind of potential today.

Had a JD455 and found it generally unimpressive, ok, but nothing that excited. The BX is a superior machine/value in my opinion. A bit confused on your implement question. If the attachments aren't for that particular machine, would be cautious. Does the person dabble in used sales--how sure are you of the represented hours...... But back to used premium machines: Find one you know the history on with certainty, and is priced reasonably fairly. This site, and more so for garden tractors, gardenweb.com (admin is developing a bit of a hitleri complex) will guide you on price and price sources. Have heard a lot of good things about Cub Cadet (older ones).

/ JD 420 vs 425 #5  
I don't have anything to offer on the 420 but a couple thoughts on the 425. I've got a 6 year old, 500 hr 425. I would have to say that I'm satisfied with it but I definitely would not call it great. Muhammad is right on - no problems for 2 years then they start. I had no major problems but I'm sure I spent $1000 on the machine over the past four years (standard maintenance parts plus repairs). Last year it took me two JD dealers plus one independent tractor mechanic to solve an engine problem so not all dealers have equal service capability. I've been tractor shopping and several dealers quoted me ~$4500 as a trade in (I'm not selling).

As an aside. I took delivery of a blue tractor yesterday afternoon. My youngest daughter (7) was sitting on the 425 (it was off w/ no keys!) when the NH salesman who delivered it asked my son (who was with me next to the TC) what the best color tractor was. The look on the salesman's face when my daughter yelled out "why, green ones of course" was priceless. Wish I'd thought to solicit her assitance in negotiation!

/ JD 420 vs 425 #6  
Since I bought my 335 hour 425 in 1994 the only time it has needed anything other than standard maintenance was at 30 hours. This was for a product improvment package involving the carburetor. Chris

/ JD 420 vs 425 #7  
Mike,

Congratulations on the delivery of your new NH. May you have years of fun, enjoyment and of course productive work on your new Blue machine! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

JimBinMI