JD 4200 steering wheel spins freely

/ JD 4200 steering wheel spins freely #42  
Unthreaded?
Don't understand what can "unthread". Pics don't reveal much to me.

A bolt threaded in from the back side of the piston (2 separate pieces)

/ JD 4200 steering wheel spins freely #43  
I was just doing some grading with FEL when it came apart. I did not hit a rock or anything. After replacing the cylinder it appears that the shaft on the old one simply came unthreaded. I guess I have a spare one, but would sure like to know how to not have it happen again. See photos.... Again thanks to all for the help!!

It must have turned on the piston inside the cylinder right? The rod would be unable to turn on the ball joint end. The picture of the tractor by the creek...... looks like places I get in to:)

/ JD 4200 steering wheel spins freely
That is correct mfreund. The shaft spun within the cylinder notbat the ball joint.

/ JD 4200 steering wheel spins freely #45  
Ok so it was the hydraulic cylinder. When I unbolted it from the steering knuckle and disconnected the hydraulic lines, the shaft slid right out. It appears that the piston stripped the threads right off. New one bolted in and it is working great. Pictures to come.
The steering on my friends John Deere 4200 quit working and turned left while traveling along a highway and sent him across the road to the other side; lucky no one was coming and he did not turn over. After reading your information I undid one side of the cylinder and the rod came out as your did. The bolt had come out the holds the piston; I guess it was not locked. As you said an easy fix, except the cylinder now costs $485. Very dangerous failure as road speed. Thanks for the information, Ernst

/ JD 4200 steering wheel spins freely #46  
The replacement cylinder I bought is repairable. The original from the factory was not. From time to time people claim the original welded cylinder can be fixed but I have not found anyone to do it. I still have it if anyone can do it!!

So it appears the dreaded Steering Hydraulic failure has hit my 4300. My question is for a field fix, can one remove the hydraulic arm from the tractor steering at the Right front wheel and thread it back onto the bolt/nut that is in the cylinder far enough that it will work?

My unit is sitting in my yard with the wheels turned to the left, same issues. steering wheel turns freely with out the wheels moving when tractor is running. When the Tractor is off the steering has resistance when you turn the wheel but again the hydraulics do not extent or retract.

I was hoping I could just pop off the end that is attached to the tractor axle/steering arm and thread it back on as far as it would go and then reattach?

It was a nice day, mowing the yard...turned the wheel one to many times and suddenly nothing.