Oil & Fuel JD 445 Gearbox oul change

/ JD 445 Gearbox oul change #1  

Jthurow73

I just picked up a JD 445 with a 54" Deck. I have a few questions. I want to change the gearbox oil on my deck. How do I get the old oil out, do I just have tip the deck up and have it all run out. Do I suck it out with vac? Also, I think I need to get this deck sandblasted, so I would like to take the Gearbox off. Does it just in pull off when unbolted or is it more complicated? Do I change the oil when it's attached to deck or off? Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Attachments

• image-2538224185.jpg
    image-2538224185.jpg
    579 KB · Views: 129
   / JD 445 Gearbox oul change #2  
Yes you can tip it on its side to drain the gear box. However, I would use a dish to catch the 5 or 6 ounces that come out of it. Since you plan on refinishing the deck anyhow, it would be best to just remove the gear box and lay it in a drain pan. Refill the gear box when it is horizontal through the side plug to the level of the hole.

/ JD 445 Gearbox oul change #3  
I just picked up a JD 445 with a 54" Deck. I have a few questions. I want to change the gearbox oil on my deck. How do I get the old oil out, do I just have tip the deck up and have it all run out. Do I suck it out with vac? Also, I think I need to get this deck sandblasted, so I would like to take the Gearbox off. Does it just in pull off when unbolted or is it more complicated? Do I change the oil when it's attached to deck or off? Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Why would you want to sandblast that deck. I think it looks nice already except for a few spots. Why not just sand it down where the bare or rusty spots are and lightly sand the rest and paint it. It will look good as new.

I would just tip the deck over and let it run out onto a couple rags, unless you are going to take it off anyway for painting.