JD 455 Mower Deck will not raise or lower

/ JD 455 Mower Deck will not raise or lower #1  

Glenn9643

Veteran Member
Tractor
MF 1455v 4wd, 1040FEL
When I attempt to raise the deck there is no response. There is no indication that there is a load on the hydraulic system either.
Any ideas on where to start?
Thanks.

/ JD 455 Mower Deck will not raise or lower #2  
Get a second party to watch for linkage movement, maybe something simple like a cotter pin or something fell out not allowing the valve to move.

/ JD 455 Mower Deck will not raise or lower #3  
4x5 series tractors use a roller chain master link between the control lever linkage and the hydraulic valve. It may be missing or the valve spool is stuck in the bore. How is your power steering working? The hydraulics loop to the steering before the deck lift valve. If you don't have one, an investment in a TM1517 Tech Manual is well worth it.

/ JD 455 Mower Deck will not raise or lower
There isn't any linkage movement.
Power steering is fine. Everything seems normal except I'm not able to raise or lower the deck.
Had no problems with it the last time it was used, and it sat in the weather for a couple of months without being started.
Started it the other day and had this issue.

/ JD 455 Mower Deck will not raise or lower #5  
Glenn, when I brought my new, to me, 455 home the aux hydraulics lever moved but the valve spool was stuck. All of the movement was twisting in the rod from the lever to the bellcrank below the sheet metal. Have you been able to have an assistant move the lever while you watch the valve spool? After sitting in the elements you may need a shot of PB to free the deck spool.
Please let us know what you find.